Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Naked Jeep MPG

Old 05-13-2008, 09:31 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Naked Jeep MPG

For those of you TJ owners out there... If you take down your top and your door and go naked how much mpg do you get on average (city/highway)? Is it that bad for mpg for going naked even on stock condition?

Does it make a difference if your TJ Is 4 cylinder manual versus 6 cylinder auto?
Or I guess I am saying is, do 4 cylinder TJ (manual) actually get better mileage?

Sorry, I know I am over milking this question since everyone here has been talking about it but I am so concerned about it I can't help it..

Will Gas prices go even higher??? (I guess that's stupid question?)

P.S. I was the guy that decided to get the vibe... but I am having some serious second thoughts and thinking about getting a old beat up TJ so I can use the money I save on payments on gas...
Old 05-13-2008, 09:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes gas prices will go higher... for the rest of our lives. Remember when a Milky Way used to cost 10 cents?
Old 05-13-2008, 09:46 PM
JK Newbie

But higher than 5 dollar? I mean I earn 1200 to 1400 dollar a month as waiter while I am a college student and I am willing to pay up to 400 dollar a month on gas... but if it goes higher than 5 dollar in next 5 years I am screwed. If something major happens and seriously gas just spikes I might as well as get the hybrid now and prepare for the worst.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love hybrids!!!
they leave more gas for me!!!
Old 05-14-2008, 10:28 AM
JK Newbie

Basically, we have finally reached a point where there is 'real' incentive to produce an alternative fuel. Seriously, why would you want to pay more for an electric car when it costs about the same to keep it running...but now that gas is 5 bazillion a barrel, things will change.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by baelzharon
Basically, we have finally reached a point where there is 'real' incentive to produce an alternative fuel. Seriously, why would you want to pay more for an electric car when it costs about the same to keep it running...but now that gas is 5 bazillion a barrel, things will change.
Why wouldnt you want an electric vehicle even if it costs the same to own as a gas one (considering lifetime cost)? It is so much better for the environment, you can recharge at home for ~2$/charge, has 100% of torque available at idle (something that could be good for the wrangler), and can be more reliable because of fewer moving parts. It is actualy possible to make an electric car for the same price as the gasoline version, without the battery. Then, you just lease the battery, and even with leasing it, it would cost less than having to fill up with gas. I say bring it on!
Old 05-14-2008, 10:42 AM
JK Freak

you cna never hear a hybrid engine going down the road

wheres the fun in that
Old 05-14-2008, 11:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeepgreensahara
Why wouldnt you want an electric vehicle even if it costs the same to own as a gas one (considering lifetime cost)? It is so much better for the environment....
I read somewhere that this may not be 100% true since the electricity you are recharging it with may be generated by coal.

I'm all for the available torque though. Actually if they could make a hybrid or electrick Wrangler that looked and performed like my current Wrangler, I'd be all for it. I wasn't very impressed by the looks of the recent Renegade.

Last edited by Keith615; 05-14-2008 at 11:08 AM. Reason: The quote syntax wasn't right.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Keith615
I read somewhere that this may not be 100% true since the electricity you are recharging it with may be generated by coal.

It's called renewables. Something we need to switch to. Someone could put solar panels on their house and have free electricity to power their vehicle and part or all of their home.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:21 PM
JK Newbie

well lets forget about the environment for second... cause I don't really care to be honest lol (sorry i just don't, I am sure we'll nuke each other before global warming). So seriously no one is too worried it will go up to 5 dollar next two years? Cause I can't seem to imagine driving anything but a beat up crappy jeep wrangler, I am in love...

Yeah I think I am listening to the devil, everytime I try to look for vibe or matrix I keep looking at jeep wranglers with tremendous envy... I've got to drive it, I would pay that 100 dollar more a month to drive it.

Quick Reply: Naked Jeep MPG