Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

NEED HELP setting up road trip.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:58 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP setting up road trip.

Thank you in advance for you help. Some history first, I live on the east coast, PA to be specific and i just recently finished all the upgrades on my first jeep! I have a jamboree coming up that im going to and a off road park near by that i will soon check out. I have only had a jeep for a little more then a year and im loving everything about it! My question is, I am 24yrs old never been anywhere else other then east coast and i was planning to take my girlfriend on a road trip westbound. We will only have off for about 10 days and i wanted your help on places to go to, pretty places/views, scenic trails, also some fun ones for me, mud rocks ect. I was thinking Colorado might be the place but ive never been anywhere. Cali looks beautiful but that would be too much of a hike for time allotted. Advice, Photos, comments...Please and thank you
Old 08-31-2011, 07:04 PM
JK Newbie

No one has any insight?! Maybe if i ask the questions...I was thinking colorado but ive never been away from east coast. Do you set up trips through a tour agency before you get out there or is it just anything goes drive where you want? I really want this to be a good experience, the pictures in the Show and Tell thread are unbelievable! Please Help
Old 08-31-2011, 07:18 PM
JK Newbie

come hit up Utah! I'm sure there a couple guys around here that'll show you around! you could even hit up Moab!
Old 08-31-2011, 07:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

I drive for a living...the drive from PA to CO is going to be a long boring drive unless your into corn and cows. There's scenery at each end and lots of nothing in between.

I'd concider going south into NC then over to TN and work your way back home from there. It's got everything your looking for and Gatlinburg TN is always a good spot to take the girlfriend or wife. The mountains in west NC and east TN are pretty nice this time of year.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:39 PM
JK Newbie

Hey thanks i really appreciate you all helping. I did consider just staying on the east coast but does NC and TN really have a whole lot of legal wheeling spots? Moab and Cali look incredible but that is i bit further then i would like to drive. Another question, those photos on the show and tell "jeeps in beautiful places" thread are those paid trips with guides that take you out, state parks or just see a trail and go for it?
Old 09-01-2011, 01:40 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Most trips are not guided tours. Most of us just get out there and go (but it's nice and safer to have someone to buddy up with). Much of what you see out west is on Bureau of Land and Mines (BLM) property. It's public property generally available for public use. Some trails are in national parks, and such, where a fee may be required, but many are not. The best thing to do is get a guide book. Charles Wells makes some awesome ones. Very thorough trail descriptions and ratings.

Second, when are you going? Some trails, especially in Colorado, are open for only a couple months because of the snow. I drove Imogene Pass (13K+ feet) a couple weeks ago--and it just opened in very late July. I would strongly recommend the Ouray/Silverton/Telluride area of Colorado. Plenty of four wheeling opportunity and Wells' has a book that covers it thoroughly.

Utah is also a wonderful place, and especially around Moab. This is a town which has at least a dozen places to rent Jeeps, and it is better set up for lots of visitors than the southern Colorado area (Montrose isn't too far away, but Ouray/Silverton/Telluride are small mountain towns with only a few places to stay each--at least compared to Montrose). Again, Wells has a book (or two) that covers the area.

Anyway, as someone else mentioned, between PA and Colorado there isn't much. Not that there aren't pretty places to be found, but I take at least four or five big road trips each year to pursue my passion for photography, and generally dread when I'm not headed west (from Oklahoma). But, once you hit the mountains in Colorado, the scenery is spectacular. Decide where you want to go, but definitely make it to at least Colorado or further west.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:48 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Most trips are not guided tours. Most of us just get out there and go (but it's nice and safer to have someone to buddy up with). Much of what you see out west is on Bureau of Land and Mines (BLM) property. It's public property generally available for public use. Some trails are in national parks, and such, where a fee may be required, but many are not. The best thing to do is get a guide book. Charles Wells makes some awesome ones. Very thorough trail descriptions and ratings.

Second, when are you going? Some trails, especially in Colorado, are open for only a couple months because of the snow. I drove Imogene Pass (13K+ feet) a couple weeks ago--and it just opened in very late July. I would strongly recommend the Ouray/Silverton/Telluride area of Colorado. Plenty of four wheeling opportunity and Wells' has a book that covers it thoroughly.

Utah is also a wonderful place, and especially around Moab. This is a town which has at least a dozen places to rent Jeeps, and it is better set up for lots of visitors than the southern Colorado area (Montrose isn't too far away, but Ouray/Silverton/Telluride are small mountain towns with only a few places to stay each--at least compared to Montrose). Again, Wells has a book (or two) that covers the area.

Anyway, as someone else mentioned, between PA and Colorado there isn't much. Not that there aren't pretty places to be found, but I take at least four or five big road trips each year to pursue my passion for photography, and generally dread when I'm not headed west (from Oklahoma). But, once you hit the mountains in Colorado, the scenery is spectacular. Decide where you want to go, but definitely make it to at least Colorado or further west.

Mark Thank you very much for taking the time. That is very valuable information i never knew these "wells" books even existed! And as far as the drive and nothing being between me and CO i understand that but the idea is to get away from the east plus i will be with my girl...She will keep me occupied until we get to the mountains Im definitely going to CO and will research/go to the places you suggested, Imogene pass sounds amazing! any photos from your trip? Or does anyone else have CO photos? Moab would be sweet just have to see how much time i have when we decide to go. Thanks again!! Much appreciated
Old 09-02-2011, 03:55 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Superbad
...any photos from your trip? ...
LOL. Oh yes.

COLORADO

Medano Pass.

Mineral Creek.

Engineer Pass.

Imogene Pass.

UTAH
Tower Arch Trail

Fins and Things

White Rim Trail

Lathrop Canyon
Old 09-02-2011, 07:21 AM
JK Newbie

[QUOTE=Mark Doiron;2508129]LOL. Oh yes.

Holy That is spectacular! Im ready to leave right now!! Mark i really appreciate it i feel more comfortable now, at least knowing what do do once i get there! THANK YOU THANK YOU. YOur jeep is a beauty too! One more question, if you dont mind, should i invest in some jerry cans for a trip like this? If so any certain kind or amount? I cant wait to show you pictures of the trip. Thanks again!!
Old 09-02-2011, 07:31 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

For most trips, you'll be fine without Jerry cans. On some trips, plan your gas as if you got 90% of the trip done, then have to turn around and return the way you came. White Rim Trail is a good example because the river could flood. Also, 2WD can really stretch your mileage, when the trail allows.

Quick Reply: NEED HELP setting up road trip.