Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

The never ending battle of the mpgs!

Old 03-16-2008, 07:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The never ending battle of the mpgs!

I dont own a jk, I will start off by saying that. Hence I drive a 99 toyota camry. I have been driving the camry for about a year. My prevous car was a audi a4, which I sold after i finished paying it off because the parts are rediculus expensive, and the 1.8t was still slow no matter what parts you threw at it. I have extensive background in rally cars, the old dsms, to the evos and stis. But I guess I dont make enough money to justify paying the price at the pump for premium. I mean hell its 3.69 for pemium here. Thats what got me thinking about the wrangler, and chryslers stance on the future of fuel economy and the rise of gas prices. So I'll get the point, do you guys think that chrysler will come up with a gas engine and or, a diesel engine that will get extremely great mpg. I personally feel if they dont there are going to be sitting ducks, becuase soo many automanufactors are going with fuel efecient cars, and they are advertising them as such. And to add to it, do you guys feel that diesel prices will remain higher then gas? Any hope for us, or are we headed like europe and the rest of the world? I knoiw for sure there has to be a major move made by someone, because we are going to see over 4.00 for sure in the near future, and with the jk average to be 16-18, I cant see my self owning one. As much as I would love to own the jeep, I feel my money is better spent somewhere esle, and not at the pump.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Obviously you shouldn't buy a Jeep if you are that concerned with mpg. But don't let the bad press fool you. I'm getting 21mpg out of mine, which is on par or better than other vehicles with a similar weight and size.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stick with your camry.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:02 AM
JK Freak

If fuel mileage is a concern, you might want to avoid... But if you truely enjoy what you drive; you just need to unclench your anus, stop worrying about fuel economy, and enjoy your vehichle...

My STi never got good mileage! But it was one hell of a blast.

Old 03-16-2008, 10:25 AM
JK Newbie

Neither did my evo....and 21mpg is good for a suv. This thread wasnt about weather or not I am getting a warngler, but more so on the future chrysler has in for us. I am willing to be we will see a newly designed enine that will net great mpgs. I walked into my loca jeep delership last week, and the place was EMPTY....not one person there looking at any jeep. I made a coment to the manager, along the lines of wow is busy in here. He said pretty much ever since the economy took a hike, and the gas prices went up most auto sales went down big time. And that people are looking for more fuel efecient vehicles. This why im thinking there is a change in the near future.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm sure Jeep has noticed the elevation in gas prices and the engineers aren't just curled up in a fetal position under their desks, rocking and weeping. Diesels are most assuredly on the way -- any diesel they choose will be the answer to the mpg question for this model Wrangler. And I hope they build an "mpg leader" JK designed with a diesel, lightweight wheels and tires and with deep overdrives in 5th and 6th gear -- perhaps some clear, quick removable aero plastic and smaller mirrors to help get the Cd down?

But in the end, those who need/really want a Jeep will pay the price. So let's get real: a 1,000 mile a month at 18 mpg and $4/gal gas is $222. With a 30 mpg Camry, it's $133. So you're paying a whopping $89 or the price of a Happy meal each day to drive a Jeep. Life is about choices. I'll pack a lunch and drive my JK! For any of those "fancy" coffee drinkers -- skip paying for that skim latte crapachino and you can easily afford gas. New Advertising Slogan: "Choose Jeep."
Old 03-16-2008, 11:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FlightTester
I'm sure Jeep has noticed the elevation in gas prices and the engineers aren't just curled up in a fetal position under their desks, rocking and weeping. Diesels are most assuredly on the way -- any diesel they choose will be the answer to the mpg question for this model Wrangler. And I hope they build an "mpg leader" JK designed with a diesel, lightweight wheels and tires and with deep overdrives in 5th and 6th gear -- perhaps some clear, quick removable aero plastic and smaller mirrors to help get the Cd down?

But in the end, those who need/really want a Jeep will pay the price. So let's get real: a 1,000 mile a month at 18 mpg and $4/gal gas is $222. With a 30 mpg Camry, it's $133. So you're paying a whopping $89 or the price of a Happy meal each day to drive a Jeep. Life is about choices. I'll pack a lunch and drive my JK! For any of those "fancy" coffee drinkers -- skip paying for that skim latte crapachino and you can easily afford gas. New Advertising Slogan: "Choose Jeep."
I hope that clear and concise logic will put this one to bed. Could you post the same thing on the other 99 'MGP' threads?
Old 03-16-2008, 12:02 PM
JK Freak

I'm averaging 19 to 20 mpg around town. If you just drive responsibly and don't slam the gas it does quite well. If you're worried that much about mpg, no SUV will be the right vehicle for you.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:20 PM
JK Freak

I was getting about 17 or better highway and backroad mountain driving mix, which was good as I expect as when I was on the highway (turnpike) I would push the jeep to stay with the flow of traffic. In the morning drive that could exceed 90 easily. Was getting 20mpg before going with the goodyear MTR's.. but now its smashed so I'll post up what my next JK will get..
Steve
Old 03-16-2008, 01:25 PM
JK Junkie

Even if Chrysler comes out with a more fuel-efficient engine for the Wranger, the fundamental "aerodynamics of a brick" issue won't change... with so much drag at speed, you can only squeeze so many MPGs out...

The wife and I drove out to Chi-town last summer, and I'll tell you in all honesty that the Wrangler was surprisingly comfortable for such a long trip... but once we were in the city proper, the Wrangler revealed itself not to be the best choice for jack-rabbit starts, aggressive merging, and city driving in general. Yes, it was TOLERABLE, but you'd do well to test drive carefully (and if possible, take it into the city) before deciding to buy. Hope that helps.

Quick Reply: The never ending battle of the mpgs!