Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

New JK Advice

Old 09-27-2013, 06:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New JK Advice

I'm looking into buying my first Jeep - a JK Wrangler, of course - and I have a plethora of questions. I was a Chevy guy before I got emasculated by getting a Honda Civic for fuel mileage , so I know hardly anything about Chrysler products.

Firstly, I think I'd like to order a new 2014 from a dealer. There aren't any like I want in my area. I want a 2-door, white, soft top, manual Sport. Every single one on the lots in my area (Memphis) is an automatic. So, first question: what are some things I need to know when going to order? I'll probably finance... Also, what is the deal with the Tread Lightly membership, and how does it work with ordering if you're already going to negotiate a price when placing the order? I have never bought a car from a dealer. I'm probably looking to spend $29k all around.

Second, I need to decide between the Sport and Sport S. Looks like in 2014 the Sport S doesn't automatically come with the power package (which I don't really need anyway - not planning on having the doors on most of the year). Also, if I got the Sport, I would probably want to swap out the tires and wheels, as they are pretty sorry-looking, IMO, but that's more $$. I'm not looking to build a heavily modded rock crawler. The most off-road it will see (at least until its paid off) will be driving across the hunting tract, so I don't think I need anything more than one of the Sport models. If I went with the Sport S, I think I could keep the wheels and just replace the stock tires when they are worn with some all-terrain tires. I just want a decent, level stance - doesn't need to be too high. I doubt I'll need tires bigger than 31-33. While under warranty, I probably won't do a suspension lift. I've been hearing about Chrysler "voiding" the warranty for mods, and if I do a coil or coil spacer lift/leveling kit, I figure if I need to take it in for warranty work, I can swap it back to stock in a couple of hours in my garage and then take it in... Any thoughts on all that? I have moderate shop skills.

I could really use any and all advice you guys have to offer, and I'd really appreciate it. Correct me on anything I said that seems wrong, I probably need that too.

Thanks
Old 09-27-2013, 06:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just picked up a 2014 Sport S, 6 spd manual, in Anvil with premium soft top, power convenience group, connectivity group, tru-trac LSD and 3.73 gears for around 29k OTD. I would highly recommend getting the gearing and LSD if you ever plan on going with bigger tires and taking it out to your hunting tract. As far as a small lift goes, I have a set of 18 front springs and 58 rear springs from my 2013 JKU Freedom Edition that will net you approxiamtely 2" of lift without voiding any warranty as they are stock parts (shocks included). PM me if you are interested in the shocks and springs, I will cut you an excellent deal on them.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:39 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the tip. The options I'm planning on:

A/C (if Sport)
Premium soft top (is this worth it?)
Trailer Tow
3.73 gears
Connectivity group
Alpine Premium Audio
Deep tint sunscreen (worth it?)
Tubular side steps

Was that $29k including TTL? Not sure what all is included in OTD. Did you order or just find it on the lot?

When I build and price on Jeep's website, it comes to $28,830 for Sport S w/ those options. Is that MSRP or "invoice price?"

Last edited by willworkforJK; 09-27-2013 at 06:41 AM.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by willworkforJK
Thanks for the tip. The options I'm planning on:

A/C (if Sport)
Premium soft top (is this worth it?)
Trailer Tow
3.73 gears
Connectivity group
Alpine Premium Audio
Deep tint sunscreen (worth it?)
Tubular side steps

Was that $29k including TTL? Not sure what all is included in OTD. Did you order or just find it on the lot?

When I build and price on Jeep's website, it comes to $28,830 for Sport S w/ those options. Is that MSRP or "invoice price?"
Premium soft top is definitely worth it. To include tinted.

29k OTD includes TTL. Your build price would be MSRP. You can get it cheaper.

I was lucky and found the Jeep with the options I wanted at a dealer about 45 minutes from me.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:02 AM
JK Newbie

The site is msrp. Most if the time you can just tell them about the treed lightly deal and they will just give it you. The dealerships I went to never heard of it but agreed to give me the deal. I believe it's 1 percent under msrp or invoice can't remember which. I would strongly suggest you actually drive a jeep just to see what options are in it and see what you like or dislike. Also drive a automatic and manual. Lot of manual people who have driven manuals for their entire life's wish they would have gotten an automatic.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:37 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Adding a 3/4" spacer in the front will level it out. Adding heavier springs from a 4 door will give you a small amount of lift as said before. They are pretty easy to find and for cheap. Since your not going to do heavy off roading you could fit 33's under stock suspension. You may need wheel spacers if using stock rims. Take a browse through this link for modification guidelines https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...bie-has-18617/
Old 09-27-2013, 07:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

a 2 door sport for 29k fuuuuuu. i got my 2 door rubi for 30k : P

i printed out my build sheet then went online and found the averages of prices paid for the centrial us regon and printed those as well took all the info with me and told them i want this jeep and i want to pay this price. They did the normal take it to their boss thing and came back with like 32 somthing K so i called another dealer and told them what i wanted and they said they could do it after hearing it the dealership i was at agreed to match it including a 500$ reduction for military family. so in all i think i got it for like 2% under dealer invoice. would have to look at the papers to see exactly how much it was. used the money i saved to get the 70k or 7 years extebnded coverage.

Last edited by shabbernigdo; 09-27-2013 at 07:51 PM.

Quick Reply: New JK Advice