Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Anyone know of automobile insurance that is Jeep/modified value friendly?

Old 09-01-2013, 08:53 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know of automobile insurance that is Jeep/modified value friendly?

Hello

I'd love to find some sort of insurance agency that let you give them an itemized list of all the money/modifications to your Jeep so in a worst case scenario I wouldn't just get The regular value of a similar Jeep with zero mods

Don't mind paying extra

Matthew

Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum
Old 09-01-2013, 09:07 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have State Farm and my agent told me if its mounted on my jeep it's covered. He simply said keep an itemized list handy, but the claim agent will take note of any aftermarket parts damaged in the event of an accident.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:12 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JK-FREAK
I have State Farm and my agent told me if its mounted on my jeep it's covered. He simply said keep an itemized list handy, but the claim agent will take note of any aftermarket parts damaged in the event of an accident.
Yeah that's what I have now with MetLife

Matthew
Old 09-01-2013, 02:27 PM
JK Newbie

Differs by state. Allstate has great rates for us. Have to check policy you purchase (w/any insurer) as to what is covered, as policies vary.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:09 PM
JK Newbie

I am in the same boat right now with State Farm. I keep trying to get a firm written answer of what they will or will not cover in the event of a total loss.

A friend of mine has a high dollar Supra which he has insured with a company called Rally Insurance Group under their "Collector Car and Special Interest". I am probably going to call them and see what they have to say as I'd also like to know all of my aftermarket mods are protected.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

With the MODS, you will need to get an aftermarket endorsement. Maybe even a stated amount policy. I believe that's what it's called.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:44 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by RMucho
With the MODS, you will need to get an aftermarket endorsement. Maybe even a stated amount policy. I believe that's what it's called.
I asked my agent and they had no clue...

Filled out a form at that rally company

Matthew
Old 09-11-2013, 02:51 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Everyone should read their policy carefully. Back in the initial days of painted artwork on vans and expensive stereos in anything, all of the insurance companies started modifying their policies to limit their exposure to claims on what was sometimes very expensive artwork and sound systems. They used generic language that limited the exposure to some small amount ($1000 was quite common) for ANY mods to the vehicle, as purchased. I SPECIFICALLY REMEMBER STATE FARM SENDING ME A LETTER WITH THIS CHANGED LANGUAGE. I would not trust what my agent says--read your policy, because his statements don't make a hill of beans when it comes to claim time.

FYI, I am now with USAA and they have been sending me letters that their current policy on mods, which is unlimited, will be changing to $5000 sometime in the future. In those letters they specifically say that they consider that a very generous amount, since most insurance companies limit it to $1000. Again, that's USAA's statement on mods about other insurance companies--virtually identical to my own experience back when I had State Farm way back in the 80s. USAA offers additional coverage for mods, and is encouraging everyone who has in excess of $5000 to get such coverage. I'm waiting until they actually modify the policy, so I have no idea how much it will cost. I've read that it's expensive.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:09 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Everyone should read their policy carefully. Back in the initial days of painted artwork on vans and expensive stereos in anything, all of the insurance companies started modifying their policies to limit their exposure to claims on what was sometimes very expensive artwork and sound systems. They used generic language that limited the exposure to some small amount ($1000 was quite common) for ANY mods to the vehicle, as purchased. I SPECIFICALLY REMEMBER STATE FARM SENDING ME A LETTER WITH THIS CHANGED LANGUAGE. I would not trust what my agent says--read your policy, because his statements don't make a hill of beans when it comes to claim time.

FYI, I am now with USAA and they have been sending me letters that their current policy on mods, which is unlimited, will be changing to $5000 sometime in the future. In those letters they specifically say that they consider that a very generous amount, since most insurance companies limit it to $1000. Again, that's USAA's statement on mods about other insurance companies--virtually identical to my own experience back when I had State Farm way back in the 80s. USAA offers additional coverage for mods, and is encouraging everyone who has in excess of $5000 to get such coverage. I'm waiting until they actually modify the policy, so I have no idea how much it will cost. I've read that it's expensive.
Best I could get so far is an email my agent got from some underwriter at Met Life, stating that as long as I was racing our being paid for driving my vehicle they would cover a major accident or total loss even if I was driving off road

I have a small dilemma as I was considering the Ace Jeep accessory company's sponsorship because a big part of it is having a couple of big Ace Jeep" logos

I'm pretty sure they'd look at that as being paid

Matthew
Old 09-11-2013, 03:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron

I too have USAA and recently had my jeep totaled. I to thought they covered upto $5000,00 in mods as long as I had receipts. They told me my mods (PR44,ARB,RCV Shafts, Smittybilt front bumper w/ stinger) were so called personal preference items and therefor did not increase the value of my settlement. I asked how a $5000.00 front axle did not increase the value and was told no. So unless you specifically have it in writing it's not covered. For the weekend warriors I recommend a "Stated Value" policy that will pay you the appraised value for your vehicle. This required an appraisal every time you do a lot of mods but is the best way to cover them. All of this does not apply if it's the other insurance company paying as you have never signed anything with them they have to make you "whole" meaning replacement value for anything on your vehicle.

Quick Reply: Anyone know of automobile insurance that is Jeep/modified value friendly?