Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

New to off-roading, could use some tips

Old 10-29-2007, 03:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sk8r1189
Hey all, I just recently got my 07 Wrangler X and im loving it. I just recently started going into very muddy and gravel-like terrain and im running a full stock X right now, any ideas of what I should get? I know I could probably use some BFGs and a 4" lift along with some skid plates, but if anyone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated. I also have the dana 30 axels with the 4.10 gears so im assuming I cant go over 33" in tires or else id loose too much power when on the highway.

Rob
Lift her then play with her to the next level, then grow as you get time under your belt gradually, but most of all do it safely.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chvynova
Don't forget to check some of your local Jeep clubs websites. A lot of them have Jeep 101 days for non-members that teach you the basics.
Originally Posted by 1BADJK
First thing to get before anything else..." Recovery Gear "
This is good advice. Join a club. Know how to use your equipment safely. NEVER go out alone.
www.bmja.org
Excellent club. Has 101's.

Last edited by awfrode; 10-30-2007 at 06:39 PM.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:37 PM
JK Super Freak

I joined a local club, but I managed to alienate most everybody last month. They were all critical of me because I expressed my opinion about welding bumpers with a MIG welder. I welded for a living back in my early 20s, so I know what I'm talking about. They started commenting about the fact that had only been a member for 3 months, but had more posts than a lot of them and that I had only been to one meeting. I haven't been on their Forum for about a month or more now. It seems like all they want to do is go out and see if they can break something. I wish I had investigated them a bit more.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Very good post N2rock. I went the lift and tires the first thing so I don't know what the stock unlimited can do. I do know the JK is a real horse off road.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 07rube
I joined a local club, but I managed to alienate most everybody last month. They were all critical of me because I expressed my opinion about welding bumpers with a MIG welder. I welded for a living back in my early 20s, so I know what I'm talking about. They started commenting about the fact that had only been a member for 3 months, but had more posts than a lot of them and that I had only been to one meeting. I haven't been on their Forum for about a month or more now. It seems like all they want to do is go out and see if they can break something. I wish I had investigated them a bit more.
Things don't always click...Find a different club
Old 10-31-2007, 09:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Excellent post, n2rock. Mine is stock as well and I'm getting some trail time in to see how it all goes. Little by little, I'm getting used to the Jeep's capabilities. I have some things planned but will do them over time.

Bikini top, sliders, maybe a bumper and some aux lights.

Quick Reply: New to off-roading, could use some tips