Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

New Pentastar 3.6

Old 07-19-2009, 04:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Pentastar 3.6

From article in Peterson's OffRoad Mag - "The '11 Grand Cherokee gets a new standard engine when it goes on sale next year, a 3.6L V-6 named Pentastar that's good for 280 hp and 260 lb-ft of torque. The all-new powerplant is built on a 60-degree aluminum block and fitted with aluminum cylinder heads topped by overhead camshafts. Variable valve timing (VVT) helps the engine produce 90 percent of its peak torque between 1,600 and 6,400 rpm."

anybody hear when the JK will get this motor? seems like it should be a no brainer. smaller, lighter, more power.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

whoops, just realized this should probably be in JK talk, not here. my bad.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Figures... and we all get an underpowered van motor....
Old 07-19-2009, 06:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, I'm fine with the 3.8l. Especially after my CIA and Flashpaq. I do have 4.10 gears and a 6 speed to help motivate it, but in the flip side I have the heaviest JK you can get (loaded Unlimited Rubicon w/hardtop). It will cruise at 80 mph all day long in 6th gear even on fairly steep hills and had adequate acceleration around town.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 3.8 sucks balls. It's the most underpowered Jeep I have ever owned. I never got 22 mpg and find it hard to believe that the poster above got so much higher than the sticker. I welcome any change unproven or not.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:04 AM
JK Junkie

I'm so tired of people wanting their Jeep to be as fast as a Ferrari. So so tired...
Old 07-19-2009, 08:12 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Suffolk JK
I'm so tired of people wanting their Jeep to be as fast as a Ferrari. So so tired...
Agreed.....I would have thought most people would test drive it before they bought it...Then they know what they got and have no reason to complain.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by BaltChief
Agreed.....I would have thought most people would test drive it before they bought it...Then they know what they got and have no reason to complain.
I wasn't aware there was more than one engine option . I bought it because I needed another Jeep. That doesn't change the fact that it is significantly underpowered compared to the past 6 Wranglers (7 if you count my 07 lemon). It also has less torque. I don't want a ferrari. I've got a Viper in the garage. If you are happy with it fine. I think it's pretty much a common complaint from owners of previous Wranglers that the 3.8 is underpowered and has less torque. Shocking I know.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:22 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by saltman
I wasn't aware there was more than one engine option . I bought it because I needed another Jeep. That doesn't change the fact that it is significantly underpowered compared to the past 6 Wranglers (7 if you count my 07 lemon). It also has less torque. I don't want a ferrari. I've got a Viper in the garage. If you are happy with it fine. I think it's pretty much a common complaint from owners of previous Wranglers that the 3.8 is underpowered and has less torque. Shocking I know.
What I don't understand is why would you buy something you are not happy with? You could have opted for a 2006 with low mileage. Then you would have had more power that you want and not have the need to complain about a purchase you knowingly went into.

I am not criticizing those who complain, I just don't understand spending 25-30k or more for something one is not happy with.....especially when there are other options.

The wifes 06 has more power, I knew it, but I am still pleased with what mine has....so I spent the money and enjoy it rather than complain about it.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by BaltChief
What I don't understand is why would you buy something you are not happy with? You could have opted for a 2006 with low mileage. Then you would have had more power that you want and not have the need to complain about a purchase you knowingly went into.

I am not criticizing those who complain, I just don't understand spending 25-30k or more for something one is not happy with.....especially when there are other options.

The wifes 06 has more power, I knew it, but I am still pleased with what mine has....so I spent the money and enjoy it rather than complain about it.
I also have a 06 rubi I originally bought that one to wheel and the JK to DD but I've had so many problems with the JKs that the LJ has become the DD. I bought the second JK because I thought I had bad luck with the first one but that wasn't the case.

I can deal with the JK. It works fine for a street Jeep. I just wish it had more power to chug though mud, deal with larger tires, etc. It would also be beneficial for the street. I will be kicking it to the curb as soon as they offer another option. I guess I am sucker for the newest thing. That's probably what it comes down to.

Quick Reply: New Pentastar 3.6