Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

New Vs. Used Jk?

Old 04-08-2016, 07:51 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Vs. Used Jk?

I traded in my Gecko green JK in 2014 for a brand new ram 1500, probably one of the stupidest ideas I've ever had.... Anyways. Now I am looking at getting another jeep, since I now have jeep fever and can't sleep without thinking about them... Awkward, I know.. I would absolutely love to have another gecko green jk, but they only made them in 12-13, and all the new wranglers are pretty uninteresting colors. But it seems that, if I did look into buying a used jeep from a dealer, I'd be paying the same price for one with more miles than I could pay for a brand new one with no miles, what is the smarter decision here? To suck it up and pay the price for the right color with a little bit of mileage? Or buy that brand new shiny jeep with a boring color and no miles... Just trying to get my money's worth here... My heart though doesn't want to think logically. And I'm going jeep crazy....
Old 04-08-2016, 07:58 PM
JK Newbie

Let me also add this.... My old gecko jeep, is actually for sale again, but it has 47k miles now and they want 1500 more for it than what my dad originally paid for it brand new... I suspect it has to do with the wheels and tires, the new bumper and the lift it has.. I know that it's not worth it to go and get it back because I wrecked it at one point and that's originally why I traded it...
Old 04-08-2016, 08:01 PM
JK Newbie

Something else I could consider.... Should I just buy a new wrangler and later on do a color change? Has anyone done a color change on there wrangler?
Old 04-08-2016, 09:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hypergreen is due out in like a month I believe. Not as good as Gecko but different still.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get a BackCountry in that crazy purple that only that model is available in.
Old 04-09-2016, 04:05 AM
JK Newbie

No hyper green is definitely not the same, and I'm trying to keep my price tag under 30k, what about custom ordering from the factory? Is that possible?
Old 04-09-2016, 04:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

if the color is what your most interested in get a good used jeep that has what you want and paint it
Old 04-09-2016, 04:19 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default SacReligious option

I know you have Jeep Fever. I know this is going to sound SacReligious but why not wait 6 months and get the new one or at least wait for the new one to come out then buy a dealer leftover for thousands off MSRP.

The thing that is going to make me mad is if the new one comes out and I like it I'm going to buy the dam thing and have to mod that. I highly doubt it though I can see Jeep making the Wrangler Better unless they throw D60's in it a more powerful engine and actually make the body from something other than thin as 12 gauge metal.

I'm just hope the new one is a flop so all the current JK's go up in value
Old 04-09-2016, 04:47 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

The thing about the JK is that Jeep always has some standard colors. Red, Black, Silver, Grey.

Then they will additionally have some unique colors that will only be available for the next 2 years but are typically a derivative of Blue, Orange, Red, Brown, Yellow and Green. This is where your Gecko Green falls into. It's also where my "Deep Water Blue" falls into. I've been considering purchasing a new JK but really like my deep water blue. I will likely have to settle for some other type of blue that is close. Like my Deep Water Blue, Gecko green is unlikely to be offered again. I wouldn't pay more for a used vehicle, just for the color. I would wait every 2 years, to see what those special offered colors are and see if there's something I like, with the expectation that it's not going to be the exact Gecko Green you want, but there may be another similar color you may like even more.
Old 04-09-2016, 05:29 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Maybe buy new, then spend some money to get in vinyl wrapped. I saw one that had the entire jeep wrapped in what looked like carbon fiber. Looked really cool.
I'm 48 yrs old. My JKU was the only vehicle I have ever purchased new. The fact that used ones cost almost as much as new is why I decided to buy new.

Quick Reply: New Vs. Used Jk?