Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

A new way to fund the jeep addiction

Old 01-12-2015, 10:56 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ikaros
I think there's a big difference between someone asking for money to help take care of a sick child and asking for money for a toy jeep. I wouldn't think twice about giving money to help someone with a sick child.
I just clarified my thoughts and comment.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this real life?
Old 01-12-2015, 11:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

He joined on the 2nd. This was his first post. His second was a response to this post, also on the second. Nothing since then. Either he was actually expecting ppl to give him money for no reason (and being very passive aggressice about "even if you only get a laugh...") or he's troll. Either way,something tells me he's not coming back.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RalphTomaccio
I know I will probably get blasted by many for my opinion but, it is my opinion and since you asked, I'll tell you. As "lighthearted" as you think it may be, I think it's pathetic that some people think others should contribute to their "wants", not true needs, unless it's a gift for some special occasion like a birthday, graduation, etc.. Much like those who expect family and friends should pay for their wedding expenses so they could have the wedding of their dreams. A wedding gift is one thing, paying for the wedding is something else. If you can't afford it, then save for it until you can.

It's probably a generation thing. Many young people feel as though they are "entitled". The older generation generally feels things should be earned.

I guess I've given away my age, huh?

Those are my feelings and I'm sticking to it.
I agree. Hard work still gets things done. What happened to having pride? Shame? Earning things for oneself?
Old 01-12-2015, 02:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK505
I would be careful generalizing an entire generation, Sport. Not all kids are like that. I'm only 22, but started working in the electrical field at 14 (full time every break from school). Everything I have was earned, not given (unless you count a birthday or Christmas gift ) I take a great amount of pride in it and am glad that I had to earn and spend my own money growing up for the things I wanted. Then again, I'm pretty traditional as well. The only thing I haven't paid cash up front for was my jeep, the first cars I wrote a check and SOMEHOW I've managed to not have a credit card yet

JK505,
I don't think anyone who agreed with my original response feels that all young people are entitled, but each generation does get some sort of label, good or bad. And we all know there are always exceptions. Thank you for reminding us that there still are many young people who have many of the traditional beliefs about "earning", not feeling "entitled" and spending within your means. It's very refreshing.

Paying cash is a nice way to go. But, I do recommend you consider establishing credit earlier than later, though. It's an important and necessary element in life and there will be a day when it's needed. You sound like a person who can use one responsibly. If you love paying in cash, use a credit card and get in the habit of paying it off in full each month.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RalphTomaccio
But, I do recommend you consider establishing credit earlier than later, though. It's an important and necessary element in life and there will be a day when it's needed. You sound like a person who can use one responsibly. If you love paying in cash, use a credit card and get in the habit of paying it off in full each month.
Preaching to the choir! Luckily, cash in hand helped convince land lords to overlook my lack of credit. USAA just sent me a prequalified card and I think I'm just going to use it for gas and treat it like you said. Thank you for the advice, sir.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:43 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JK505

I would be careful generalizing an entire generation, Sport. Not all kids are like that. I'm only 22, but started working in the electrical field at 14 (full time every break from school). Everything I have was earned, not given (unless you count a birthday or Christmas gift ) I take a great amount of pride in it and am glad that I had to earn and spend my own money growing up for the things I wanted. Then again, I'm pretty traditional as well. The only thing I haven't paid cash up front for was my jeep, the first cars I wrote a check and SOMEHOW I've managed to not have a credit card yet
Good for you keep up the good attitude and thanks for spelling "Christmas" entirely not it's short form.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bacon
He joined on the 2nd. This was his first post. His second was a response to this post, also on the second. Nothing since then. Either he was actually expecting ppl to give him money for no reason (and being very passive aggressice about "even if you only get a laugh...") or he's troll. Either way,something tells me he's not coming back.
I know him personally. He's a good guy, but this makes me cringe. Asking people for money so you can build a dream jeep is not cool. Also, not cool to represent yourself as military to appeal to people's sense of support for the military. With 25 years in uniform, I have never asked for a monetary contribution and I don't think its right when I see people looking to gain personal benefit from the hugely supportive populace. Jarret, my advice is take down the ad, and follow the advice the forum here is giving you. Build the Jeep you can afford, keeping within your means. I've seen the progress you've made from the old XJ, being grateful for what those deployments already paid for will go a long way to making you happy with your current setup. And if Uncle Sam isn't paying you enough NCO pay, flight pay, and deployment pay, then hit the books and study up for the WAPS test.
~Jason
Old 01-12-2015, 06:14 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys, don't think for a second you need to obtain debt to create a great FICO score. Getting a credit card is NOT a passage from youth to adulthood. Credit card companies want you to buy into this notion so you can pay them 37% interest. Sure your payment will be low, however, it will take major discipline to pay it off. Minimum payments will not cut it, especially, if you buy into the credit game and continue to add more and more to it. You are far better off saving and paying cash for your mods. Your most-likely 2 largest expenses are your house, followed by your vehicle. Don't let credit cards sink you!!

Read Dave Ramsey's, "The Total Money Makeover" book and learn how you can live debt free and enjoy your life... lol

Good luck!
Old 01-12-2015, 06:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by scooby snacks
Guys, don't think for a second you need to obtain debt to create a great FICO score. Getting a credit card is NOT a passage from youth to adulthood. Credit card companies want you to buy into this notion so you can pay them 37% interest. Sure your payment will be low, however, it will take major discipline to pay it off. Minimum payments will not cut it, especially, if you buy into the credit game and continue to add more and more to it. You are far better off saving and paying cash for your mods. Your most-likely 2 largest expenses are your house, followed by your vehicle. Don't let credit cards sink you!! Read Dave Ramsey's, "The Total Money Makeover" book and learn how you can live debt free and enjoy your life... lol Good luck!
USAA offered 9.8% I guess that's decent?

Quick Reply: A new way to fund the jeep addiction