Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

NEWBIE/FIRST POST: TRADE OR NOT TO TRADE - That is the question!?!

Old 11-09-2017, 08:03 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEWBIE/FIRST POST: TRADE OR NOT TO TRADE - That is the question!?!

NEWBIE/FIRST POST: TRADE OR NOT TO TRADE - That is the question!?!

I have a 2010 Wrangler JK Islander Edition and it's just passed the 115k mile mark. I'm the original owner and have done all of the maintenance and it runs great. No major issues thus far but my concern is that I feel like i'm right at the point of aggressive depreciation. KBB is currently somewhere between 14k and 17k which would be a nice trade in adjustment.

I test drove pre-owned models between years 2013-2016 and I don't feel like there is much difference other than the nice interior modifications. These pre-owned models had anywhere between 29k miles to 55k miles and the unknown with regard to how they cared for the Jeep is a little concerning. I can also consider a brand new 2018 but that's a big commitment so maybe I just hold tight and keep driving my 2010 until it dies.

Simply looking for other people's opinions....... If my decision is to keep the 2010 then I will create another post related to what maintenance to start doing to keep the engine working great.

Thanks for reading! Much Appreciated!

MN_MIKE
Old 11-09-2017, 12:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I wouldn't trade a vehicle for which you are the original owner, runs great, you know it in and out, and is paid off, for another pile of debt. Hell no. What you have is the golden ticket to happy and sensible vehicle ownership. Enjoy your ride and put those dollars you would have spent into an IRA.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I'd keep what you have. I have a 2010 sitting at 170k miles and it still runs great. The value to me, knowing exactly what's been done to it is worth more than an interior upgrade.
Old 11-10-2017, 05:09 PM
JK Newbie

Default End of thread

You both make valid points and I appreciate it. This has helped me make the smart choice.

I am keeping my 2010. Now the question is.............. too lift or not to lift...... it's completely stock now....

Thinking about a 2.5" Suspension lift an grabbing some new wheels and tires. I admit, I'm not a wheeler and this would strictly be to enjoy it and crawl the mall. My brother wheels and just got back from MOAB so he thinks its funny to call me a mall crawler but whatever....

Thanks again!

MN_Mike
Old 11-10-2017, 05:13 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by spartan99
I wouldn't trade a vehicle for which you are the original owner, runs great, you know it in and out, and is paid off, for another pile of debt. Hell no. What you have is the golden ticket to happy and sensible vehicle ownership. Enjoy your ride and put those dollars you would have spent into an IRA.
good calll! Much appreciated. MC
Old 11-10-2017, 09:21 PM
JK Freak

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Keep it

Keep it and save for an engine swap. MoTech LS 5.3 starts at $14k.
Old 11-11-2017, 01:43 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by mn_mike
... Thinking about a 2.5" Suspension lift an grabbing some new wheels and tires. I admit, I'm not a wheeler and this would strictly be to enjoy it and crawl the mall. ...
Take a look at Jeeps with a simple leveling kit, 33" tires and wheels with 4.5" or so backspacing (or with 1.5" wheel spacers) and see if that's the look you could enjoy. Going mild on your lift and tires will save you money and keep things closer to OEM performance, including ride, gas mileage and reliability.
Old 11-11-2017, 04:35 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 2011 2 door JK pushing 140,000. Original owner and payed off. I have a mild lift...4 door springs and pucks. Running 295/70/17's. Very happy with my choice and keeping it.
Old 11-11-2017, 06:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Smart decision. And we long term Jeep original owners are a special group. I love being the original owner of my early year JK. We earlier year owners are OG's.
Old 11-11-2017, 06:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default minor mods

A 2 1/2" lift is a bit much for a mall crawler. I have to agree with Mark on the minor mods just to freshen up the look. I ran 33" tires and a leveling lift for a long time and going higher isn't necessary for 33s. Anything bigger on tires and you would need to consider a gearing change which doesn't make much sense for you. Pick out some wheels and tires that you like and consider other cosmetic upgrades that you like the looks of.

Quick Reply: NEWBIE/FIRST POST: TRADE OR NOT TO TRADE - That is the question!?!