Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Newbie. Suspension advice please...

Old 10-22-2010, 10:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie. Suspension advice please...

So I bought a 2011 4dr Jk last week and I'm confused to say the least.
I'm looking for a 4 inch lift and striking out. So far from what I've read the RC lift is no good, the Rancho is overpriced, the procomp is a street queen lift and won't hang offroad, anything from teraflex seems overpriced, the rubicon express is the only decent standard kit I've been able to find and it's a 3.5 lift. I plan on going offroad but this is also a daily driver. I've been told by almost everybody I talk too I need new drive shafts and gears if I go over 3... Does anybody have a basic 4inch lift that didn't require new shafts or gears? I plan on running a 35" tire.

PS somebody told me the stock tire carrier can't hold a 35".. They said it would rip the door off..? This true?
Old 10-22-2010, 10:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Over time the tail gate will start to sag, it's just really not rated for that kind of weight.

I have been introduced to Full Traction on here, check them out. I would post a link to their site but I have to read up on posting links here. :P "Just got in trouble for it. :P They seem to have a pretty good kit for the price. I can give a tesimony as to how well they are though, I haven't talked to anyone that has one (yet).

If you are going to be running 35's you can go with a 3" then you don't have to worry about drive shaft angles.

What gear ration you have in your JK?
for 35's optimal is 4.88.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:09 AM
JK Junkie

If you want to run 35" tires, all you need is a 2.5" lift and if budget is a concern, just do a budget boost.

4" lift is more than you need for 35" tires and you will most likely need new drive shafts, at least at some point in the near future.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:16 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can run a 2.5"-3" TeraFlex kit for those 35's. With a 4" kit you will need control arms and eventually driveshafts.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:21 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by stoppey
So I bought a 2011 4dr Jk last week and I'm confused to say the least. I'm looking for a 4 inch lift and striking out. ...
You've never owned a Jeep before, but you have lots of experience with 4WD pick-up trucks, right? If so, forget everything you know about four wheeling. That's why you're confused. And, if you're receiving guidance from a friend/professional who does pick-up trucks, ignore them. They haven't a clue what it takes to off-road in a Jeep (in fact, I'd argue that they probably don't have a clue what it takes to off-road, period, since most 4WD pick-ups are chromed-out, shiny, slush-box, mall crawlers!).

A TF 2.5" coil spring lift is sufficient for 35s if you replace the stock wheels with new wheels with 4.5" BS or so, or if you keep the stockers and add spacers. There's some minor trimming needed to make it a good fit, and you may find that you want to improve the handling by installing front adjustable lower control arms (DON'T DO CAM BOLTS!), but get the TF lift and you'll be on your way.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks guys, I like the 2.5-3 by teraflex but I'm looking for something that'll appear more aggresive. I know that sounds like a poser statement but hey I like what I like.

Does anybody know anything about the 3.5 from rubicon express? The kit says no driveshafts required.....?

What prompted me to buy this jeep was witnessing "steelefx4" (the olive drab jk) coming down the street, he lives somewhere near me and this thing commands the road.

Apparently he's running a 6 long arm and 37's. I may just have to wait and ante up the budget for all this.
What sucks is my lack of ability to do anything involving mechanics. If I could do all this myself I would have the extra $ to do it, unfortunatly paying somebody to do all the work is pricey.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks Mark,
Actually I've never owned a 4x4 truck. The only 4x4 I've ever had was my Hummer H1 and I never messed with the suspension. You are totally right though and that's why I posted here. Everywhere I turn somebody tells me something different, so I posted here to get some knowledge from jk owners who have first hand experience.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:45 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want a more nose down look, then you can run taller coil spacers in the rear. Most lifts are designed to raise the front up to get rid of the nose down rake look.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:46 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your looking for a 3.5 kit check out the rock krawler 3.5 mid arm kit. You shouldn't need new shafts with a 4 door at least. I've never read a bad review on their kits on this forum.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:15 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by stoppey
What sucks is my lack of ability to do anything involving mechanics. If I could do all this myself I would have the extra $ to do it, unfortunatly paying somebody to do all the work is pricey.
If you can follow directions and turn a wrench you can install your own lift. Actually I would recommend it because it allows you to know what is broken when you hear the noises while wheeling.

There are instruction sheets that WOL has put on here, step by step with pictures. That allowed my husband and I to install the 3" Teraflex lift on my Jeep by ourselves, no prior experience at all (especially on my side ). I think the only thing you need special would be spring compressors (go to Harbor Freight, super cheep) and a brake fluid kit (any auto store). Also, if you need a buddy or two, post up in the forum where you live that you are going to hold a lift party, provide beer , and have a great time.

Quick Reply: Newbie. Suspension advice please...