Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

No re-gear still!! - no thanks to Screamin Lizard Customs

Old 09-15-2011, 03:03 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No re-gear still!! - no thanks to Screamin Lizard Customs

I've been trying to spend some money on a regear and scheduled it back around August 17th to be done by Screamin Lizard Customs, Aug 30th was the scheduled install date - they were supposed to call me by Aug 19th to confirm or let me know if it needed to be changed and well...no call.

I started calling on the Monday before to confirm, no reply, called almost every day and left messages to confirm - no reply. Aug 30 came and went still called no reply. Called the dealership who they work under and sent a note through their website contact page about how unhappy I was and would take my business elsewhere and let other Jeepers know about this experience. Got a call within an hour all apologetic and all the reason why they hadn't called - they are working on a Hemi install and were - are still having issues with it, apparently 4 weeks of issues - feel sorry for that person. They made me a deal to give them a second chance and scheduled it for Sept 8th, 7am.

Arrived Sept 8th, 7am - 30 minute drive in morning traffic - only to be told they were having issues with another Jeep gear install, were waiting for parts and would not be able to get my Jeep done could I bring it back the following week. They could have called and told me this, I did not need to get up at 5:30am and drive for 30 minutes to be told can't do nor to look at why they were having issues. I'm kicking myself in the ass for cancelling my appointment at another shop to get them done.

Against my better judgment, I said ok, call me the next day- Friday, and let me know if they were able to get the parts arrived and when I could come back. Monday no call, Tuesday they call only to tell me that the Hemi project was still having issues - the other Jeep they took in while the Hemi was getting exhaust put on. So here it is Thursday the 15th, no gears, no appointment - they don't know when the Hemi will be done as they now have to remove all wiring harness and related parts, wait for a new harness and try again.

I have come to the conclusion they are a 1 bay shop - they can only work on 1 project at a time, the project they told me about beside the 2 I saw, have had some issue or another so maybe it's an omen that I shouldn't let them work on my Jeep.

For my experience the customer service sucks - I understand they are trying to deliver the Hemi - I'd be pissed as hell if I were that person, but it's parent company is a big dealership. They should have pulled some resources and got the jobs done they promised when they promised. May be only a couple of people have the skills to do Jeep mods but I won't be doing any business with them and caution anyone that does.

If you've had your Jeep worked on by them successfully, I envy you - I really wish they would've delivered for me - they did on the alignment but that's easy stuff.

So I won't be spending any of my $$$$ with them, I had planned on besides the re-gear, front/rear bumpers, diff covers, some other armor components figuring around $5000+/-

I have plans to do a Hemi swap first of next year - guess who won't be getting that job?

Guess the search for a reliable - reputable shop for re-gears continues....
Old 09-15-2011, 03:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man that really sucks. I think I would have called it quits after making the drive there plus expressed my displeasure to the man in charge. Service can be a tough business and sometimes you do get behind on things, etc as they do not always go the way you want them to. But to not even give you a call and say "hey we are still having some problems with the Hemi" rather than let you drive an hour all together and probably a good amount of sleep loss just shows plain disregard on their part. I am sure you would have been much more understanding and probably a lot less pissed if they could have provided you with just a simple little phone call. Good luck on getting them installed somewhere soon!
Old 09-15-2011, 03:34 PM
JK Jedi

Are you close to Lunatic Customs ? i know they are a sponsor here and haven't heard anyone complain about them
Old 09-15-2011, 03:36 PM
JK Freak

They were logged into the forums a bit ago - their green sponser/dealer name stood out.

But yea man give Gerry a call.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:48 PM
JK Freak

I just mapped Lunatic - they are close, will drive there tomorrow, thanks!
Old 09-15-2011, 03:51 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jeeeep
I just mapped Lunatic - they are close, will drive there tomorrow, thanks!
Gerrys a great honest guy man, i need to get back there. I got some death wobble and its getting worse and i can't figure out.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:51 PM
JK Jedi

He use to run a gear special , so maybe the sale is still going on
Old 09-15-2011, 04:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Gerry did my lift and gears, highly recommend.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Just by chance, I happened to meet Allen of 249 Drivtrain when he called me about something I was selling on Craig's list. Super nice guy who knows his stuff. Worth the drive to Houston.

He used to do big modification stuff but has specialized into doing mainly only gears.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:23 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by CerOf
Just by chance, I happened to meet Allen of 249 Drivtrain when he called me about something I was selling on Craig's list. Super nice guy who knows his stuff. Worth the drive to Houston.

He used to do big modification stuff but has specialized into doing mainly only gears.
I was suckered in by his 'too good to be true' jk re-gear ad on craiglist. The work was quick, (3.5 hours start to finish, including fielding phone calls and bs'ing with other customers that stopped in), the price was cheap ($850 out the door for both ends) - and a tow truck was called to get me back to the shop during the test drive. Lots of front end damage, some of it replaced with used parts he had laying around, some he had delivered, and most taken care of by me once I got back to Austin.

And of course both ends have since had to be re-done!! Thankfully by a much more reputable shop - one that doesn't flat out ignore customers that have issues with their work...

Quick Reply: No re-gear still!! - no thanks to Screamin Lizard Customs