Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Noob question: Need help deciding on 07 Rubi or Sahara

Old 02-06-2007, 01:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Noob question: Need help deciding on 07 Rubi or Sahara

A little about me as this is my first post. I owned an 02 Sahara bought new but sold it in order to buy my wife the non-van kid carrier. I'm going to be buying another Jeep after realizing the Mrs never did drive "my" car and life is too short to drive a sedan.

I don't know crap about engines and need a daily driver to get me to and from my office gig, so a CJ is about out. I'm looking at new and newer Rubicons and have a few questions.

1) Why are the Unlimited's so much cheaper? There are so many of them on the market and the decreased price make me wonder what is wrong with them.

2) What are the opinions of the new Saharas? Rubicons? Why did you choose and not the other? Did you even consider one without the other?

I appreciate any input as I'll be more serious in the market in March and April.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

The new ones (2007 models) are "completely re-designed" from earlier years. It has a V-6 instead of the straight-6 that the earlier models had. Also, the popularity probably comes from the 4-door being offered for the first time. At least that is why I purchased one.

I don't really know if there is any noticable gas mileage or power difference since the one I owned before had the 4 cylinder engine. However, if I was to buy a 2 door Jeep right now, I would probably go for a 2006 model - only because of the price difference. That being said, since you have kids and they will probably love the Jeep that you get, I cannot express how happy I am that I spent the money and bought a 4-door. It has so much space and seating for 5 and is excellent on and off road. The ride is definitely tamer/less stiff than my '94 was.

As far as a Sahara vs Rubicon, I decided I liked the look of the Sahara with the painted fenders better than the Rubicon when researching. But now I would like either one. If you plan on doing a lot of serious off-roading without doing any mods to your Jeep then the Rubicon is the way to go. If it is your daily driver and you like the painted fenders and the side steps then go with a Sahara. I lifted mine and put bigger and more off-roady tires on it and it still drives great and will go off-road with no problem.

Finally, Rubicons are somewhat hard to get a hold of right now. Saharas are generally available at most dealers as are the X 's.

P.S. -- Keep safe out there in A`Stan. We all want to see posts from you directly from Maryland when you get back!

Last edited by Jeephrog; 02-06-2007 at 06:30 AM.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would also consider the X model with the "S" option package; it's pretty much between the X & Sahara models in terms of options/accessories, and the price point is nice.

I didn't go with the Sahara model mainly because I like the black fenders, and power windows are impractical this far north (the Sahara models I've seen on dealer lots all had the power option pacakges, though I think you can order a Sahara with manual windows?).
Old 02-06-2007, 07:07 AM
JK Newbie

Thumbs up

Thanks for the input. The only mod I'd be thinking of would be an AirRaid. This would be only for occasional trail runs for fishing trips other than the snow. I'll have to look at the 4 door Sahara.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by HankJr
Thanks for the input. The only mod I'd be thinking of would be an AirRaid. This would be only for occasional trail runs for fishing trips other than the snow. I'll have to look at the 4 door Sahara.
If all your doing is the occasional trail I would go with the Sahara. That's what I did for the same reason.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:46 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by HankJr
i was faced with a very similar situation recently. we're 25/26 planning a family. unless you absolutely must have the look of the Sahara's painted fenders (you could do this yourself), optional 18" wheels (which you could just add a better looking set later), YES fabric seats (stain resistant - but seat covers work wonders), sand dunes side decals, or crappy stereo/speakers, then there's no point in even considering the Sahara. the true decision, in my opinion, is whether to get the X with the "S" package or the Rubicon. I dearly wanted the Rubicon and even had the check ready to be handed over. then i remembered that, oh wait, i don't do serious, competition-level rock crawling and probably never will. i WILL do some light to medium off-roading, but mostly on the way to the beach, campgrounds, mountain bike trails, etc. for these tasks, it seems that the X is more than capable; look up 2k2wranglerx's wheeling vids on youtube - again, MORE than capable, especially compared to older models.

with the Rubicon, you get a 4:1 transfer case that is a bit more competent - but it seems that you'd probably only reap the full benefit of this when doing SERIOUS (not weekend warrior) type off roading. you get a front dana44 axle - *shrugs*. you get front and rear locking differentials plus an electronic sway bar disconnect - again, SERIOUS off-roading convenience (you can disconnect the sway bar manually). you also get the "premium speakers" - read: factory crap (a ~$395 option on the X). you get the YES seats. throw in a set of 32" mudding tires, 17" jeep rims, and rock rails (all of which i'll be replacing anyways), and for me, it's an easy decision to get the X.

when i was trying to make the decision, people referred me to the many videos and pictures of X owners going places and doing things that i never imagined 4 wheels accomplishing. they reminded me that Jeeps, no matter which trim level or set of options, strives for (and fully delivers on the promise of) being the ultimate off-road 4x4.

good luck with your decision. sorry for not being completely objective.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:06 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can afford it...go for the Rubicon. Spending more money is better
Old 02-06-2007, 10:10 AM
JK Newbie

I had a 03 TJ Sahara and was happy with it. When the JK's came out, I was initially split between the Sahara and the Rubicon Unlimited. The only thing I did not like about my Sahara was that the fenders had a tendency to have paint chipped off them from rocks thrown up by the tires. (I did not modify that TJ Sahara). So I decided that a decked out X or a Rubicon would probably make me happier. I could in no financial way justify spending the extra money on the Rubicon as off my roading has been fairly limited. I did buy the Rubicon because I realized that if I bought the X, I would be sick to my stomach every time I might see a Rubicon. Glad I made the choice. I just love the Rubicon and plan to do more off roading than in the past, because I think it will be a hoot and I want to use the Rubicon.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:48 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tedlick
[snip] (the Sahara models I've seen on dealer lots all had the power option pacakges, though I think you can order a Sahara with manual windows?).

I have manual windows & locks on my Sahara. I did not get the power convenince group. I do not like all the electronics, to much of a pain in the arse & too expensive to fix when my warranty runs out. I tend to keep vehicles well past the warranty cutoffs
Old 02-07-2007, 05:25 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by superboo
i was faced with a very similar situation recently. we're 25/26 planning a family. unless you absolutely must have the look of the Sahara's painted fenders (you could do this yourself), optional 18" wheels (which you could just add a better looking set later), YES fabric seats (stain resistant - but seat covers work wonders), sand dunes side decals, or crappy stereo/speakers, then there's no point in even considering the Sahara. the true decision, in my opinion, is whether to get the X with the "S" package or the Rubicon. I dearly wanted the Rubicon and even had the check ready to be handed over. then i remembered that, oh wait, i don't do serious, competition-level rock crawling and probably never will. i WILL do some light to medium off-roading, but mostly on the way to the beach, campgrounds, mountain bike trails, etc. for these tasks, it seems that the X is more than capable; look up 2k2wranglerx's wheeling vids on youtube - again, MORE than capable, especially compared to older models.

with the Rubicon, you get a 4:1 transfer case that is a bit more competent - but it seems that you'd probably only reap the full benefit of this when doing SERIOUS (not weekend warrior) type off roading. you get a front dana44 axle - *shrugs*. you get front and rear locking differentials plus an electronic sway bar disconnect - again, SERIOUS off-roading convenience (you can disconnect the sway bar manually). you also get the "premium speakers" - read: factory crap (a ~$395 option on the X). you get the YES seats. throw in a set of 32" mudding tires, 17" jeep rims, and rock rails (all of which i'll be replacing anyways), and for me, it's an easy decision to get the X.

when i was trying to make the decision, people referred me to the many videos and pictures of X owners going places and doing things that i never imagined 4 wheels accomplishing. they reminded me that Jeeps, no matter which trim level or set of options, strives for (and fully delivers on the promise of) being the ultimate off-road 4x4.

good luck with your decision. sorry for not being completely objective.
I tend to agree here with Superboo. I spent quite a bit of time contemplating my actual use versus my rock crawling fantasies prior to purchasing my JK. Here in the NW my wheeling is confined to logging trails, beaches and snow. The Rubicon's capabilities would likely not have been put to good use by me. I bought the Unlimited X with the 23s package and I've consistently been impressed with how capable my jeep is. I did buy a set of Rubicon wheels and tires on ebay and I must say it was a big improvement over the 16s that came with the 23s package both in ride and appearance.

As for the stereo and the sub, it's not that bad. Certainly not the brain rattling bass that some of us may desire but ok - at least for now.

Good luck with your decision

Quick Reply: Noob question: Need help deciding on 07 Rubi or Sahara