Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

off road exhaust pipe?

Old 03-11-2008, 11:51 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've seen folks say removing the cats will make the Jeep lose power. I say that's hogwash. It might be true if you remove them and replace them with regular pipe and leave the rest of the exhaust stock. A good free flowing dual exhaust with headers will wake an engine up every time. Funny how that works on any other engine ever made.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
I've seen folks say removing the cats will make the Jeep lose power. I say that's hogwash. It might be true if you remove them and replace them with regular pipe and leave the rest of the exhaust stock. A good free flowing dual exhaust with headers will wake an engine up every time. Funny how that works on any other engine ever made.
Yea i want the JBA headers but not if i cant find an off road y pipe.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

actually yes there is such thing as high flow cats. there are 3 different kinds of cats at least that i know of.

1. bb like pellets in a canister
2. ceramic honey comb
3. stainless steel honeycomb (highflow)

it doesn t use back pressure to create heat it uses the exhaust gases. high flow cats can be a significant gain on stock cats.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by greasemonkey85
actually yes there is such thing as high flow cats. there are 3 different kinds of cats at least that i know of.

2. ceramic honey comb

it doesn t use back pressure to create heat it uses the exhaust gases. high flow cats can be a significant gain on stock cats.
But they cost way too much.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:46 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by greasemonkey85

2. ceramic honey comb

What do you think causes the excess heat? BACKPRESSURE. there has to be a "dam" of sorts to slow the exhaust flow down and heat the converter. Whether it's pellets (which haven't been used for 10 years or more) or honeycomb or stainless, it HAS to slow down flow to make heat. PERIOD.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:47 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by The Diesel
Yea i want the JBA headers but not if i cant find an off road y pipe.
I hear the Banks headers are the best.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:04 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm very interested on this and haven't found anything yet! Have you made any mods yet???
Old 05-05-2011, 05:10 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Borla makes a long tube header system eliminating the cats.

Gonna run u just under $1k though.

Keep in mind your peak hp and tq is going to shift higher in the rpm band when opening up the exhaust in such a manner.

You'll gain higher peak numbers in hp and tq but keep in mind that our mini-van motors already don't hit their peak until higher up then I would want in a vehicle that NEEDS the power down low on the trails.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:17 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
That is true if you just want top end horse power, but you will loose power on the lower end . If you think you need power above 4000 rpm' then go for it

Quick Reply: off road exhaust pipe?