Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

oil chime

Old 04-27-2010, 12:12 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil chime

Well I changed my oil instead of the dealer to save some money and a reason to look under the jeep for any problems. The only problem is that i don't know how to reset the oil change idiot thingy on the dash. I did not see it in the manual. The thing is driving me to drink I don't want to call the dealer and be treated like the idiot haha
Old 04-27-2010, 12:33 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wrangler08jk
Well I changed my oil instead of the dealer to save some money and a reason to look under the jeep for any problems. The only problem is that i don't know how to reset the oil change idiot thingy on the dash. I did not see it in the manual. The thing is driving me to drink I don't want to call the dealer and be treated like the idiot haha
it's definitely in the owners manual. i THINK it's key 'on' and floor the pedal three times before 10 seconds, key 'off'. but not 100% sure, i'd have to look...well, in my manual
Old 04-27-2010, 12:37 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
it's definitely in the owners manual. i THINK it's key 'on' and floor the pedal three times before 10 seconds, key 'off'. but not 100% sure, i'd have to look...well, in my manual
X2 Just push the pedal slowly don't slam it to the floor. I don't know why but I don't get the warning any more.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:37 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
X2 it is in the manual under the warning light section. I am pretty sure Goody is right.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:09 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks alot thats why I liked this forum
Old 04-27-2010, 04:03 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the info, guys. I just got this warning today, too. I usually do my own oil and have not had this come up in 33k miles. Out of nowhere, it chimes in today. Any ideas why it would kick on?
Old 04-28-2010, 04:05 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer X
Thanks for the info, guys. I just got this warning today, too. I usually do my own oil and have not had this come up in 33k miles. Out of nowhere, it chimes in today. Any ideas why it would kick on?
who else does your oil? would they have reset the system? what is your usual oil drain interval?

You can reset it even though it hasn't gone off yet. So when you do change your oil, do the reset procedure.

I change at 5k and never see the light. Well, once I forgot to do the reset procedure and the warning came up a few hundred miles later. That tells me my change interval is a little sooner but pretty much agrees with what the Jeep's algorithm "suggests."
Old 05-03-2010, 08:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks guys. I have the same problem. I never go to the dealer to change my oil and my warning is on all the time. I'll be trying that as soon as I get in the car today.

Quick Reply: oil chime