Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Oil filters and cold starts

Old 07-16-2009, 02:44 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil filters and cold starts

I recently had my oil and filter changed at a pennzoil quick change station . Been running synthetic oil from new. Well jeep has sat for a few days recently and when I started it up thismorning noticed the light tapping for a few seconds... Got to wondering if this is the oil drainback that I've read so many times about... So checked filter labelled as penzoil and it turns out it's the purolator brand.
Ok. So here is my question. I read that the motorcraft fl400s filters were pretty good , but also noticed on another thread that fram tough guards were found to have a better adb to prevent 'the knock'. Has anyone used the fram tough guard that is a replacement for the fl400s?.... It's the same size as the motorcraft, which is an inch and a half longer than the jeeps.... I'm wondering if I'd get the best of both worlds....better anti drain back but also a larger filter to keep the oil cleaner?
Anyone already thought of , or done this?
Btw I've been running a filtermag on my filters to from new, have checked a few times after changing the filter and some finer metals have been stuck to the inside of the filter cannister so this has been a good investment to.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:05 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Out of the OEM filter, the Mobil 1, I had dry starts. I switched to the FL400S and haven't had anymore dry starts. Never ran the Fram, I found one that works and I'm sticking with that.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:14 PM
JK Freak

I run a wix and have 0 problems with it. I don't drive it that much either.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:16 PM
JK Freak

Check out this thread....

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...t=engine+knock

Not to run away with this thread, but the Mobil 1 filter is just as bad as all the others... ill be using the FL400s in the next day or two
Old 07-16-2009, 08:27 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

From what I'm hearing from my dealer......since mine is in for an engine replace and had the same sound is that ANY JK engine that does this has a problem. That's the word they are getting from Chrysler. Seems reasonable to me. These filters won't be the cause of a tap or tick or knock. Too much clearance somewhere is tha cause. These Jeeps haven't been out long enough to be experiencing engine wear enough to generate noises like this. Even if the filter was dry on startup, if the engine was healthy with all the proper clearances, there'd be no noise.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:05 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
From what I'm hearing from my dealer......since mine is in for an engine replace and had the same sound is that ANY JK engine that does this has a problem. That's the word they are getting from Chrysler. Seems reasonable to me. These filters won't be the cause of a tap or tick or knock. Too much clearance somewhere is tha cause. These Jeeps haven't been out long enough to be experiencing engine wear enough to generate noises like this. Even if the filter was dry on startup, if the engine was healthy with all the proper clearances, there'd be no noise.
Hmm... I called three dealers this week and described what we've all been hearing (engine knock at start up) and all three said they've never heard anything about this.

I just switched my oil filter a couple days ago, so unless the noise comes back or my engine ends up sitting in the driveway as I back out to work, I'm gonna assume it's fixed (I went with the Fram Tough Guard 3600 - the long one).

Plus I have the lifetime powertrain warranty so they can give me a new engine down the road if needed.

Quick Reply: Oil filters and cold starts