Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

oil pan f'd! anyone replaced one yet?

Old 08-06-2008, 07:04 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default oil pan f'd! anyone replaced one yet?

so I'm on the road right now...doing some work at some of our stores around the state.

Anywho, I've put a lot of miles on lately because of this and stopped by to get my oil changed earlier tonight. I normally change it myself but being on the road...

So as soon as they get below, the guys yells 'dude you really f'd up your oil pan'. I went to Disney last weekend for some crawlin and didn't take it easy at all. So I stuck my head down there and sure enough...looks like I dropped my oil pan square on a big freakin rock. Not surprising, since I also destroyed a tire..those rocks aren't very forgiving.

Amazingly the plug was just barely able to come off...very close to being bent as well. So I need to replace this as soon as I get home.

Cheap? Easy? Anyone with experience speaketh! I assume it just unbolts and then you bolt a new one up and change the oil again.

oh and pics to come once I get home....

Last edited by JackMac4; 08-06-2008 at 07:08 PM.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:08 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Usgaone replaced his already. He said he had to order it through a collision catalog to get just the bottom half. The regular dealer catalog only listed the whole thing. I think it was 40 or 60 bucks and very easy to change.

Edit: I just checked Mopar parts america and they do list the bottom half for $33.42 and the gasket is $9.86

Last edited by bly109; 08-06-2008 at 07:12 PM.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:29 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bly109
Usgaone replaced his already. He said he had to order it through a collision catalog to get just the bottom half. The regular dealer catalog only listed the whole thing. I think it was 40 or 60 bucks and very easy to change.

Edit: I just checked Mopar parts america and they do list the bottom half for $33.42 and the gasket is $9.86
Nice! Thanks, my parts catalog and service manual are at home. That doesn't sound too bad. Hell..at that price who needs a oil pan skid. I guess you gotta add the price of oil since it would require an additional oil change, but still...

Thanks bly!

I'll PM usgaone...I wonder if it was no biggie to replace.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:35 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JackMac4
Nice! Thanks, my parts catalog and service manual are at home. That doesn't sound too bad. Hell..at that price who needs a oil pan skid. I guess you gotta add the price of oil since it would require an additional oil change, but still...

Thanks bly!

Yeah, he pointed out that he could buy about 10 oil pans for the price of my rock hard skid well 5 if you include the oil

I think he said it was just removing the bolts and bolting up the new one. I looked at mine the other day and it looks like there is alot of clearance to change it.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:39 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rhonda needs one as well on RubyJeep after sundays day out.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:05 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jkkat
Rhonda needs one as well on RubyJeep after sundays day out.
Kat, what happenned? I thought you had the skid row on it? I know you wheel the shit outa your JK, but how the heck did you bust you pan?

Edit, nevermind, Im tired and read it wrong... I thought Rhonda was Rubydoo.... ok, I need to go to bed...
Old 08-07-2008, 04:46 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JackMac4

Thanks bly!

There is the whole loss of oil issue to worry about though..
Old 08-07-2008, 06:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I to need to replace the oil pan Didn't realize that there was a upper and lower. Damn good know. Thanks for the info
Old 08-07-2008, 07:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ResQGrnRubi
There is the whole loss of oil issue to worry about though..
Nah, just put some of that oil treatment stuff in there and if you lose the oil it's not a big deal.

I swear, I saw the infomercial...
Old 08-07-2008, 08:39 AM
JK Super Freak

I'm guessing that the worst that can happen (other than splitting the pan open and dropping 5 quarts of oil all over the ground) is for the oil pick up to be pushed out of position, the oil pump sucking air and losing oil pressure.

Hopefully the idiot light would come on. I miss oil pressure gauges.

Quick Reply: oil pan f'd! anyone replaced one yet?