Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

OIL TEMP light warning ???

Old 07-07-2010, 08:25 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OIL TEMP light warning ???

i go on the beach all the time. 2x that ive gone on, my jeeps OIL TEMP warning light has gone on. 1st time i didnt air down in loose sand (i have 32" BFG KMs) but second time i was aired down to about 20. it happens in 4high in loose sand with my RPMs at about 2grand....... Im pretty sure the light is my tranny fluid temp light, and not my engine oil temp light due to the fact that im automatic. my engine temp gauge reads totally normal. is that normal? i never knew of anyone who owned a 4x4 vehicle or JK for that matter and had this issue!!!!! is there a tranny oil i could buy that might b better for hotter temps? i really dont feel like putting in a tranny cooler. PLEASE HELP!!!!
Old 07-07-2010, 09:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

The recall this spring was to add the flashing "Hot Oil" light if your transmission gets too hot. The recommended procedure is to stop and let it idle in Park until the temp comes down and the light will go off.

You can change your transmission fluid to a full synthetic like Amsoil to help the fluid retain its lubricating properties better when it gets hot. They claim synthetic makes things run cooler but not enough for you to probably notice.

The only way to prevent it from getting too hot is to install a transmission cooler. I installed mine before the recall with the addition of the light and Chysler reimbursed me for the cost of the cooler. The reimbursement is because I had to fix the overheating problem myself before they had a solution. Though an idiot light is not a "solution" in my opinion.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:15 AM
JK Newbie

Is this true? My dealer told me the engine will shut off if the oil gets too hot.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JSaghi
Is this true? My dealer told me the engine will shut off if the oil gets too hot.
I believe your dealer is shining sunshine somewhere dark. Below is the owners manual addendum and it warns about continuing to drive while the warning message is on causing severe damage. If it shuts off automatically there couldn't be severe transmission damage or failure.

“HOTOIL” Transmission Temperature Warning Message
The “HOTOIL” cluster message accompanied with a continuous audible chime indicates that there is excessive
transmission fluid temperature that might occur with severe usage such as trailer towing. It may also occur
when operating the vehicle in a high torque converter slip condition, such as 4-wheel-drive operation
(e.g., snow plowing, off- road operation). If this “HOTOIL” message accompanied with a continuous chime
comes on, stop the vehicle and run the engine at idle or faster, with the transmission in NEUTRAL until the
light turns off.
CAUTION!
Continuous driving with the Transmission Temperature “HOTOIL” Warning message illuminated will
eventually cause severe transmission damage or transmission failure.
WARNING!
Continued operation with the Transmission Temperature “HOTOIL” Warning message illuminated
could cause the fluid to boil over, come in contact with hot engine or exhaust components causing a fire
that may result in personal injury.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:41 PM
JK Freak

any recamendations on which brand makes good quality TRANNY COOLERS?????
Old 07-08-2010, 02:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

B&M makes an excellent cooler. There is a write-up with part numbers here on the site, see link below. I got mine from Summit Racing for under $50.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...cooler+install
Old 07-08-2010, 03:39 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by mediocre69
The recall this spring was to add the flashing "Hot Oil" light if your transmission gets too hot. The recommended procedure is to stop and let it idle in Park until the temp comes down and the light will go off.

You can change your transmission fluid to a full synthetic like Amsoil to help the fluid retain its lubricating properties better when it gets hot. They claim synthetic makes things run cooler but not enough for you to probably notice.

The only way to prevent it from getting too hot is to install a transmission cooler. I installed mine before the recall with the addition of the light and Chysler reimbursed me for the cost of the cooler. The reimbursement is because I had to fix the overheating problem myself before they had a solution. Though an idiot light is not a "solution" in my opinion.
ATF+4 is synthetic.
Amsoil is not on the list of approved and tested ATF+4 manufacturers. (Last time I checked, anyway.)
Old 07-08-2010, 04:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
ATF+4 is synthetic.
Amsoil is not on the list of approved and tested ATF+4 manufacturers. (Last time I checked, anyway.)
Approved by who? I bought mine from my Chrysler/Jeep dealership parts department.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:46 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by mediocre69
Approved by who? I bought mine from my Chrysler/Jeep dealership parts department.
Good luck getting warranty work when they find out you were using something other than an approved ATF+4® fluid.

Manufacturers can make ATF+4 fluids, but to use the trademarked ATF+4® name in their compatibility list, they must have their fluids tested and licensed by Chrysler engineers, and must use Lubrizol in their formulations. Licensed fluids are periodically sampled from stores to assure quality.

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/fluids.html

http://www.centerforqa.com/home.html

http://www.centerforqa.com/licensedatf4brands.html

edit to add:

The Amsoil site shows ATF+4®, complete with the trade mark symbol, in their list of approved uses.

I have contacted the Center for Quality Assurance to see if they have added Amsoil to their list of approved makers.

Last edited by ronjenx; 07-08-2010 at 05:09 AM.

Quick Reply: OIL TEMP light warning ???