Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Open headers question

Old 04-28-2008, 07:16 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Open headers question

I just watched a few vids on open header on youtube, DAMN they sound sweet. What are open headers exaclty maybe someone could help? and how do open headers sound on 6cyl? you know where am getng, can't a jk sound like that?
Old 04-28-2008, 07:29 AM
JK Super Freak

open headers on a race car, something with a big stroker or all out top-fuel or funny cars are designed to run like that and sound good, your JK 3.8L will never sound like the videos you just watched, it will sound like crap open headers just due to the wienie sized cubes we have with these engines.

Last edited by SASQUATCH; 04-28-2008 at 12:00 PM.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:32 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by SASQUATCH
open headers on a race car, something with a big stroker or all out top-fuel or funny cars are designed to run like that without hurting the exhaust valves, seats, etc.

Your JK 3.8L will never sound like the videos you just watched, it will sound like crap open headers just due to the wienie sized cubes we have with these engines.
Ohh, too bad, what about a stock mustang, the older ones will they sound like that without hurting anything?
Old 04-28-2008, 07:48 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an 83 Mustang with a mild cam and it sounded good with open headers. Its gonna hurt your hears more than anything.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JK-Q8
Ohh, too bad, what about a stock mustang, the older ones will they sound like that without hurting anything?
you wouldn't want to do that to a stock mustang much less anything else. Key is having the right backpressure, if you ran a cutout back by the axle it would be ok, enough backpressure, it would just sound like a redneck pickup truck with glasspacks. There is a balance when running open headers, depending on the engine it can increase your torque and a little rwhp, on some stock engines it can cause the opposite effect (open headers) and a cutout in the right area could increase your tq/rwhp a little.

Here is my racecar, 396 stroker, open headers.
http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e5...MAR2007010.flv

Last edited by SASQUATCH; 04-28-2008 at 11:59 AM.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

you wouldn't want to do that to a stock mustang much less anything else. By definition of open-header it means just that, headers only and you do that on most stock engines it's going to cause damage. Key is having the right backpressure, if you ran a cutout back by the axle it would be ok, enough backpressure, it would just sound like a redneck pickup truck with glasspacks.

What he said. Before buying my JK, I owned 4 mustangs over the past years. You never want to run open headers on a stock or even midly modded stang. You will have no back pressure and it will sound like total crap. If it's a fox body stang, get a nice high flowing X or H pipe and some decent mufflers. You can stake it step further and get some longtube headers. That mixed with a cam sounds tits.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:27 AM
JK Newbie

you wouldn't want to do that to a stock mustang much less anything else. By definition of open-header it means just that, headers only and you do that on most stock engines it's going to cause damage. Key is having the right backpressure, if you ran a cutout back by the axle it would be ok, enough backpressure, it would just sound like a redneck pickup truck with glasspacks.

Backpressure you are correct. But running open headers isnt going to do anything to hurt the motor. You might, get fumes comming inside the car, or start a small fire on something under the car. But by no means is running and open header going to do anything what so ever to hurt your motor or valves (as you said)
Old 04-28-2008, 11:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

OPEN HEADERS:

GOOD:

BAD:

Chuck
Old 04-28-2008, 11:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Asta4125
Backpressure you are correct. But running open headers isnt going to do anything to hurt the motor. You might, get fumes comming inside the car, or start a small fire on something under the car. But by no means is running and open header going to do anything what so ever to hurt your motor or valves (as you said)
yeah, you're probably right, if you ran it without exhaust manifolds or headers at all it could cause damage from every builder I've talked to, but open headers shouldn't hurt your valves, I stand corrected and edited my replies.

Now to the original poster, put an LS7 in your JK and she'll sound just fine with a little exhaust work

Last edited by SASQUATCH; 04-28-2008 at 12:00 PM.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:02 PM
JK Freak

not sure what a JK would sound like but i have heard a v6 run in a mitsubishi montero with nothing but exhaust manifolds and although it didnt have the same good beat as a small block chevy, it sounded pretty mean. We didnt really rev it much so i dont know if it would have sounded like a ricer back firing lol

Quick Reply: Open headers question