Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Overland ver. Overland

Old 11-01-2014, 01:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jk_sea
When I think about overland travel, I think about the ability to explore regions and be self-sufficient versus the ability to get to a destination and then be dependent on the services/accomodations of that destination. The build of the vehicle would follow suit and the goal would be versatility with regard to climates, terrain, and road surfaces/lack thereof.

I guess my Jeep could be, but probably not. The best I've done is a couple of days of dry camping where I was dependent on nothing but the Jeep. Cargo space was at a premium, but it was nonetheless enjoyable, but it's definitely a "weekend" overlander versus an "expedition" overlander. If I ever follow my dream of doing things like "taking off to Alaska" or "Exploring Montana" or "Seeing the sights of Western Canada" I'll probably pick a bigger vehicle.

I've seen some great builds based on fullsize vans, and I've always admired the vehicles that Earthroamer puts out, although the $470k pricetag better come with delivery on Mars, plus a guided expedition of the red planet! A Ford F550 with a modified camper shell just cannot be anywhere near that expensive.
Gotta get a roof rack on that Jeep!
Old 11-01-2014, 03:40 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by kmrtnsn

I remember a recent issue of "Overland Journal" in which they posited that the primary purpose of an overhead roof rack isn't to carry more gear for yourself. It's to carry your buddy's gear when he breaks down and the right decision is to temporarily abandon his vehicle. At least you don't leave everything to the highway robbers!
Old 11-01-2014, 10:46 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I remember a recent issue of "Overland Journal" in which they posited that the primary purpose of an overhead roof rack isn't to carry more gear for yourself. It's to carry your buddy's gear when he breaks down and the right decision is to temporarily abandon his vehicle. At least you don't leave everything to the highway robbers!
The thought of tossing an M14 grenade under the hood a broken down vehicle does hold a certain sick appeal..............
Old 11-03-2014, 09:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kmrtnsn
I'd also something I could sleep inside of, should I need to/want to. 6'4" doesn't work well in the back of a 2-door. lol

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Very good point. When we go, we usually take two rigs. If the larger vehicle broke down, that would be very, very interesting trying to fit all the important stuff into the 2-door which is usually full already (plus another passenger and restless dog).
Old 01-14-2020, 01:33 AM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Don't forget the fridge in the back! I am currently drawing up some mounts for my fridge and action packers for our food/camping gear. 33's and a small lift is all a Jeep NEEDS to go pretty much anywhere. Add a bit of armor for the rocky bits. 37s, 6" lifts etc are all rawk Krawlin gear, not for travelling long distances while keep gas consumption in check. I was going to go with 37's and a low CG lift on this new wrangler I got, NOPE. 33's and 2" lift and we are good to go ANYWHERE besides bouncing around on a boulder field for hours at a time.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:22 AM
JK Newbie

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Cedo Nulli

Do I miss my Gobi rack, absolutely! It was great, but with the jeep as my daily driver the , I needed mileage so retooled the setup to be able to do both crawling and longer haul overland trips.
I dig your setup man, that's where I'm headed. I see no point in a rack when I can build a trailer for almost the same amount of money and then have a "base camp" of sorts when I get to these famous trails/locations.
Old 01-14-2020, 10:02 AM
Dat
JK Freak

Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts

Nowadays, I pack my Jeep pretty heavy for just even a weekend trip, either trailer or hitch rack, tent, ice chest, sleeping bag, pad, tarp for over the tent and to make a canopy, fold up table, I like comfort more than I was younger and a medium Alice pack would keep me supplied for a week or so.
my wife likes to go camping and I like her to go, so, we go comfortable.
Not much as much an "overland" vehicle, but we have all we need
Old 01-15-2020, 02:01 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Kojack
Don't forget the fridge in the back! ...
Interesting coincidence you mention that because with my new Gladiator (still have the JK, BTW), I intend to go a bit lighter on overlanding trips and the fridge is gone. No ice chest either. Instead going with meals that don't require refrigeration. First trip will start soon: Big Bend.

Quick Reply: Overland ver. Overland