Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Overlanding setup with 35's

Old 01-07-2015, 01:04 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by JK505
Small hijacking!:

Mark, do you feel the 4.88 are too steep for the 35's? I've got the 3.8 6 speed too and I'm torn between the 4.56 and 4.88. Not an over lander, more of a mud/rock sort of guy.
No, I do not. The Jeep still struggles at times when I'm really loaded down (6800 lbs when I last weighed it, and we were returning from the trip so had used up much of our consumables!), traveling at highway speeds on a windy day headed uphill. I use fifth, and even fourth gear, at those times. This may not be an issue for you. Related: I tend to think of gearing as a solution for highway travel. But, some rock crawlers tend to think of it in terms of slower crawl speeds. You may like the lower gearing for that.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
No, I do not. The Jeep still struggles at times when I'm really loaded down (6800 lbs when I last weighed it, and we were returning from the trip so had used up much of our consumables!), traveling at highway speeds on a windy day headed uphill. I use fifth, and even fourth gear, at those times. This may not be an issue for you. Related: I tend to think of gearing as a solution for highway travel. But, some rock crawlers tend to think of it in terms of slower crawl speeds. You may like the lower gearing for that.
I want the gears for both reasons actually so that's perfect. Glad to hear it isn't that bad. I don't see my rig weighing 6800 lbs though, that's a ton!

Edit: Well it's actually around 3.5 tons, but you know what I mean
Old 01-07-2015, 03:00 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by JK505

I want the gears for both reasons actually so that's perfect. Glad to hear it isn't that bad. I don't see my rig weighing 6800 lbs though, that's a ton!

Edit: Well it's actually around 3.5 tons, but you know what I mean
Yeah. It's too heavy. It was two people with all our gear. Not sure if by myself I can get under 6000 lbs, but sure would like to.

Quick Reply: Overlanding setup with 35's