Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Overspray on Jeep.

Old 10-26-2008, 07:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overspray on Jeep.

Don't ask how, lets just say stupidity, but I got a little bit of black spraypaint on the hood of the Jeep right under the windsheild.

Its just some black speckles but I would like them gone. Whats the best method to remove the overspray w/o hurting the clearcoat/paint?
Old 10-26-2008, 07:35 AM
JK Freak

use a clawbar from meguire this should do the job easily

dont'n want to post the direct link , here is the product description:

G1016 Smooth Surface Clay Kit. Removing above surface contaminants and restoring a smooth surface to your paint finish is easily accomplished with Meguiar's® Smooth Surface Clay Kit. Our non-abrasive clay bar safely, easily, and instantly removes paint overspray, fallout, environmental contaminants and more, making waxing easier and more durable. The Smooth Surface Clay Kit provides the best performance and the best value with a bonus Cleaner Wax sample and a full-sized Supreme Shine Microfiber in every kit
Old 10-26-2008, 08:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Thanks guys!
Old 10-26-2008, 12:54 PM
JK Jedi

would goofoff work.......or would that mess with the clear coat?

Just curious....
Old 10-26-2008, 01:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't know what Goofoff is however I agree with a good claybar and spray detailer, such as Meguiars, Mothers or the likes as the lubricant. Not only should it remove the overspray but also put a nice smooth surface and shine on the area.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:23 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I worked as a detailer before,, clay baby,, or a little thinner on a clean rag,, cant remember what we used at the shop.. but to be safe I'd stay with clay.. It should also be done on all new JK's as they(some not all) get delivered on rail lines,, the iron dust from the train wheels sticks to the paint and will show rust later on,, almost look like the jeep is rusting thru the paint.. but its actuall on the paint.. unless its on long enough to etch itself in..
Good luck..
Old 11-02-2008, 03:35 PM
JK Super Freak

I have been using clay bars on my vehicles for a while now. It takes a while because you have to put a good wax back on afterwards but it looks and feels great. The clay bar will actually pull your existing wax off with the contaminents.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DeepSky
Don't ask how, lets just say stupidity, but I got a little bit of black spraypaint on the hood of the Jeep right under the windsheild.

Its just some black speckles but I would like them gone. Whats the best method to remove the overspray w/o hurting the clearcoat/paint?
WD-40 and a rag.
Old 11-02-2008, 04:26 PM
JK Newbie

We got some stuff at a car show once....called Liquid Luster. It's supposed to take paint off. I haven't had to try it, but it's worked on getting other stuff off for me.

http://www.customdreamgarage.com/Qstore.cgi?CMD=011&PROD=1165197035&PNAME=Liquid+Lu stre+Polish

Last edited by toad; 11-02-2008 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Please no direct links to non-sponsored vendors. Thanks!
Old 11-02-2008, 05:18 PM
JK Freak

claybar is the best, but you need to act fast so that the paint doesn't start to cure. Make sure you get Clay bar lubricant if you buy a claybar, as claybar should not be used without lubricant.

Quick Reply: Overspray on Jeep.