Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Painted Hard Top JKs

Old 01-14-2009, 06:58 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rai
i dont think it looks like a hummer personally, just looks good.

are stock black JKs hummer copies?
I agree. Painting the hardtop does not make it look like a Hummer at all. I just wouldnt do it because its just gonna get scratched up in the trails. Unlees you designate the soft top for offroad use.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:05 PM
Rai
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 08SaharaM6
I agree. Painting the hardtop does not make it look like a Hummer at all. I just wouldnt do it because its just gonna get scratched up in the trails. Unlees you designate the soft top for offroad use.
+1

i agree, its strickly from a apperance stand point.

most vehicles on the road are painted one solid color, so it would be normal for a hummer to also be. it simply looks like a jeep with a painted top, if someones going to think it looks like a hummer- then they most likely are going to do so, painted top or not.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:13 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Rai
+1

i agree, its strickly from a apperance stand point.

most vehicles on the road are painted one solid color, so it would be normal for a hummer to also be. it simply looks like a jeep with a painted top, if someones going to think it looks like a hummer- then they most likely are going to do so, painted top or not.

I'm going to emphasize where you said "most vehicles"... jeeps are not most vehicles and having the top differ from body color is part of their charm IMO, its one of many things that distinguishes them from other SUV's ie: Hummers. I have nothing against Hummers, however I do think that they are glorified GM garbage that has been shoved down our throats and stand for pretty much everything I hate about the world today, people buy them to be cool and trendy and fit in
Old 01-14-2009, 07:28 PM
Rai
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Adam3612
I'm going to emphasize where you said "most vehicles"... jeeps are not most vehicles and having the top differ from body color is part of their charm IMO, its one of many things that distinguishes them from other SUV's ie: Hummers. I have nothing against Hummers, however I do think that they are glorified GM garbage that has been shoved down our throats and stand for pretty much everything I hate about the world today, people buy them to be cool and trendy and fit in

wouldnt you agree that the 4door wrangler was introduced to "fit the market" a little better, wranglers with 2doors are apart of the jeep "charm" also IMO. alot of guys would prefer the 4door also, doesnt mean it is "hummerish". Great vehicles are built by taking a little of whats good here and ther. Thats what jeep has been doing when it comes down to function and style, making the unlimited and the jk a great vehicle.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:33 PM
JK Freak

I am not a fan of Hummers either since they arent really Hummers anymore anyway. People that buy Hummers these days would never want a JK anyway. They are obviously looking for a large vehicle that rides nice, has big wheels and has a couple tv screens. A JK is not in the same class and shouldnt even be compared. They look nothing like a Hummer and people that say that they do are clearly airheads, they probably call every truck with 4wd a Hummer. That being said a JK looks nothing like a Hummer and a painted top is not going to make it look more like something it will never be. Also, one thing everyone says here time and again, is that a Jeep is great because it is one of the most personalized vehicles and to make it your own, so if you feel like painting your hardtop is something you want to do, DO IT.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:34 PM
Rai
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by john3364
Each to there own.
If you like do it ,If not don,t Bother.

Attachment 17792
looks hella good, did you choose to smooth it or keep that rugged look before paint?

did the painter have to do any special prep work to adhere the base coat to the fiberglass? or was it very straight forward?
Old 01-14-2009, 07:41 PM
JK Freak

I only painted the top, white. the sole purpose was to keep the heat down on the inside.
Works great. First only painted the two front panels. Now a hand can be placed on the inside
top and not feel too hot. Big difference in the summer. Just used 4 cans plactic white spray
paint from Wal Mart for the whole top.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:52 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Rai
wouldnt you agree that the 4door wrangler was introduced to "fit the market" a little better, wranglers with 2doors are apart of the jeep "charm" also IMO. alot of guys would prefer the 4door also, doesnt mean it is "hummerish". Great vehicles are built by taking a little of whats good here and ther. Thats what jeep has been doing when it comes down to function and style, making the unlimited and the jk a great vehicle.
I won't fight you on that, you make a couple of good points. I myself have an Unlimited, I like the extended wheelbase and the two extra doors they make my life a little bit easier and unlike my '01 TJ it doesnt feel "tippy" at all to me. Sorry if i'm coming off as a jackass, not my intention at all I just really dislike hummers and absolutely hate when someone asks if my jeep is a hummer or compares it to one. However the completely painted top thing looks cool but never in a million years would I do it.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:54 PM
wdb
JK Enthusiast

Uh... so you do have something against Hummers. Sorry I think im just stirring the pot.

And i think the painted hardtop looks sick. Wheres one in Rescue Green?
Old 01-14-2009, 08:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm not a fan of it. The distinctive difference between the body and the top is part of what gives Jeep its unique look. But more importantly what does it cost to paint a hardtop? My guess is a decent penny, and thats money that could be spent on much better, more functional mods. Hell my top is only on a few months a year anyways, why waste money painting it?

Quick Reply: Painted Hard Top JKs