Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

painting diff covers

Old 10-21-2009, 04:39 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

grill paint
Old 10-31-2009, 12:42 PM
JK Newbie

krylon yellow and black, should have painted the bolts too.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

i primmed it then rattle canned it with black and white rustolemum, then followed up with some matte clear coat

sorry ofr the tiny pics.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:14 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For you guys who did the Riddler covers in two colors....

Whats the best way to mask off the raised areas? I just ordered a set of covers from Northridge and they should be here the middle of next week. I was planning on painting them red/black, but I've been scratching my head over the best way to go about doing it?
Old 11-01-2009, 03:50 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by OoPEZoO

Whats the best way to mask off the raised areas? I just ordered a set of covers from Northridge and they should be here the middle of next week. I was planning on painting them red/black, but I've been scratching my head over the best way to go about doing it?
Using spray paint I assume. Spray the raised portion color first painting the whole area, let dry completely, use painters tape or masking tape cover the area and trim with razor blade leaving what you want to stay that color covered, spray the whole cover with other color, let dry, remove tape.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:34 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by OoPEZoO

I sprayed yellow first let it dry, then touched up the black with an old hard sponge and fine brush. I'll do better on my front, but I had to get mine done, my rear factory, got peeled on a rock, and its my DD.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:24 AM
JK Freak

Yeah, I suppose doing the raised part with a brush would be the easiest. I was considering painting it black, letting it dry, masking off the raised area with painters tape and an Exacto, spraying everything red, let it dry, peel off the tape, and respray everything with clearcoat.

Maybe I'm way over thinking something thats going to get scratched all to hell anyway
Old 11-02-2009, 10:03 AM
JK Junkie

Had some paint made up at a local body shop to match my AEV Pintler's ... Then clearcoated them a few times. Then managed to scratch them all up at JK-Fest. Oh well, they did their job on the rocks

Quick Reply: painting diff covers