Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Pic Request: '12 JK 2 DR HALF DOOR

Old 09-14-2011, 07:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subscribed! I'll be ordering rubi w/ half doors as well!
Old 09-15-2011, 07:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you only run a soft top and love going topless, I cannot understand getting anything but half doors. You can get full doors on ANY car, why copy that on a jeep when the half doors provide such a different experience?

Only reason to get full doors is if you are getting a hard top and need security on a regular basis.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by midnight
I am one step away from ordering a '12 Rubicon 2 DR 6-speed with HALF DOORS AND SOFT TOP. This will replace my '06 TJ Rubicon which is also a 2 DR 6-speed with zip-up windows, soft top only. I understand that there have been some minor changes in the way the half-doors with zip-up windows are configured (as compared with my '06 Rubi) and I was hoping someone here would have access to some pics of the setup so that I may see it before ordering, as NO dealers seem to be willing to stock such a setup. Thanks in advance!
The half-doors on the JK's are TOTALLY different than previous generations - MUCH more substantial, seal to the surrounds just like the full doors, but maintain all the flexibility of half doors. You need to see them in person to understand.

Here are some good photos from an '07 - not sure if the interior trim on the doors has changed for '12

http://www.dog-walker.us/07Rubicon.htm
Old 09-15-2011, 01:35 PM
JK Newbie

CBC, that is a great link, thanks for posting it. That guy really knows how to document his Wrangler Rubicon. Some of those pics preovided me with the info I was looking for. I am also a 'half-door Jeeper for life' as some others have mentioned here. I just feel that the half door is such a neat and technical accessory thats not really obtainable on a car and after owning a Jeep with two tops (hard & soft) I found that I used the soft top much than the hard top (and I live in New England!). Thanks to all for their contributions.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:47 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bestop sells nice half doors tbat are reasonably priced. Heck there is a set on CL for $400
Originally Posted by Riptide
Or if you live in a place that gets real winters for 6-8 months of the year. I'd hate to have a soft top and half doors when it's -40 outside. If I lived further south, I'd be all over half doors... but with the winters we get, it's not really practical. Although if I could order them in addition to full doors from the factory, then I'd be all over that.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Riptide
Or if you live in a place that gets real winters for 6-8 months of the year. I'd hate to have a soft top and half doors when it's -40 outside. If I lived further south, I'd be all over half doors... but with the winters we get, it's not really practical. Although if I could order them in addition to full doors from the factory, then I'd be all over that.
Living in Whitehorse, you have a point. Here in CNY, there are only about 3 months that you never take the top down - early December-mid March. It can be quite chilly for several weeks on either side of that, but you always have days where the top can come down. From mid April-Thanksgiving it is game on for the top down life.

Staying warm inside is not a problem with half door windows, even at low temps, but at -40, all of that plastic would not be happy. Do you have a block or fuel-fired parking heater on your rig?
Old 09-15-2011, 05:54 PM
JK Newbie

I haven't been able to track down a '12 with half doors yet... Can anyone confirm they exist?

Also an ex-TJer - I bailed out on the new model bc I didn't like the 3.8... Now I'm taking a serious look again!!
Old 09-16-2011, 03:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by flot
I haven't been able to track down a '12 with half doors yet... Can anyone confirm they exist?

Also an ex-TJer - I bailed out on the new model bc I didn't like the 3.8... Now I'm taking a serious look again!!
Half-doors are orderable as a no cost option on '12 Sport and Rubicon. Order code: GCH - there are certain restrictions (cannot order with S package on JKU). Any dealer that says "they are not available" is clueless or dishonest.

Last edited by cbcwrangler; 09-16-2011 at 03:43 AM.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

I was in hot pursuit of some factory half doors, till I took my full doors off. That was months ago, and they are still off. They will go back on when the highs drop below 55F, along with the hard top. So for me, its either doors/top, or no doors/top. In that case, its nice to have the quieter full doors with a crank up/down window. But I still like the looks of half doors sometimes, so I got some Bestop 2 pc doors. Just an observation.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jhol111964
I was in hot pursuit of some factory half doors, till I took my full doors off. That was months ago, and they are still off. They will go back on when the highs drop below 55F, along with the hard top. So for me, its either doors/top, or no doors/top. In that case, its nice to have the quieter full doors with a crank up/down window. But I still like the looks of half doors sometimes, so I got some Bestop 2 pc doors. Just an observation.
If I lived where I could take the full doors off for long periods of time (no rain and always warm) I might make the same choice. In the northeast with our constantly varying weather, it is nice to have the instant on/off/carry it with you option of the removable uppers that make you feel "almost" doorless. The extra wind blocking of the half doors makes using them in chilly weather a better deal than doorless, since it keeps the heat in better down low - and keeps you warm.

Quick Reply: Pic Request: '12 JK 2 DR HALF DOOR