Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Please confirm the 08 2dr rear accesss change

Old 09-05-2007, 06:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Please confirm the 08 2dr rear accesss change

I know it was rumored to change, and I have searched the forum, but can anyone confirm wether or not they made any changes to the rear seat access on the 08 2dr?
Old 09-05-2007, 06:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive got a 08 its all most impossible to get anyone in the back seat
Old 09-05-2007, 10:14 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They did move the seatbelt mounting points BOTH to the pillar now. Thats the only change that I am aware of. Helps a little bit, but still very tight.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:09 AM
Eternal ***erator

Yup, i also checked out an '08 on the lot. the seatbelts are both pillar mounted now. Otherwise i see no differences.

I went to the parts guy and had him pull up the microfiche (they refused to disassemble a new jeep - go figure) to see what changes where made there to the lower mounting of the passenger seatbelt, thought if it was just some funky bracket or whatever i would just order the piece and swap it into my '07 to get that damn guillotine seatbelt out of the way. However, the fiche they had says the '08 seatbelt mounts the same as the '07's. Which it absolutely does not do. So without more info, or dismantelling an '08 to compare to an '07, i have no clue what they did (but it cant be rocket science)
Old 09-07-2007, 05:40 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
Yup, i also checked out an '08 on the lot. the seatbelts are both pillar mounted now. Otherwise i see no differences.

I went to the parts guy and had him pull up the microfiche (they refused to disassemble a new jeep - go figure) to see what changes where made there to the lower mounting of the passenger seatbelt, thought if it was just some funky bracket or whatever i would just order the piece and swap it into my '07 to get that damn guillotine seatbelt out of the way. However, the fiche they had says the '08 seatbelt mounts the same as the '07's. Which it absolutely does not do. So without more info, or dismantelling an '08 to compare to an '07, i have no clue what they did (but it cant be rocket science)
Can anybody with an 08 2-door be so kind as to take a look? I definitely want to get the seat belt out of the way, but I'm also waiting for an aftermarket company to come out with a tilt-and-slide seat bracket.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Its not the seat belt that is the problem its the fact that the seat doesnt go all the way forward like the old Jeeps did.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:21 AM
Eternal ***erator

Originally Posted by twinturbostang
Its not the seat belt that is the problem its the fact that the seat doesnt go all the way forward like the old Jeeps did.
True, tilting the seat would help considerably.

But in my opinion, moving the lower seatbelt mount from the seat to the floor, so it doesnt actively block the access, is half of the problem taken care of.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

But the belt you can just pull out of the way, the seat not so much...
Old 09-07-2007, 06:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

I notice when I test drove a 2 dr the passenger seat didn't move up like on the old TJ. I wonder if you could swap the bracket with one from a TJ to correct this.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:33 AM
JK Freak

Thumbs down

The 2dr kills me with friends (mind you I dont like taking ppl out in it, guess im a little anti-social). Sometimes they get so frustrated they look like they'd rather not attempt the jump into the ring-o-fire! For my daugher it isnt so bad. I just scoop her up, plant her somewhere in the back seat and tell her to sit down (the bucklin' isnt too difficult, guess it could be easier)

That seatbelt is a guilitine. Insane on the passengers side (and thats where I have her carseat!)@@!!!!

I almost want to put her in through the driverside, but opt not to. Just habit.

Quick Reply: Please confirm the 08 2dr rear accesss change