Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Programmer info

Old 12-10-2020, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

What's the original question and intent with a programmer? The Superchips units are nice if you know exactly what you're buying into and going from there. My original intent with the Superchips was to kill my TPMS, long before Jscan was ever a thing. It killed my light weigh suited me just fine. I then found that it could adjust for tire size. Well once you're into those things, you start poking around. I found the "tunes" and while they don't make a massive difference, I found (should say, "I feel/ think/ believe") applying a tune would take the delay out of the electronic throttle, with the exception of the fuel saver tune. That particular one seems to really delay the pedal.

So if you want to tune for HP or TQ- there might be better options out there. If you want to pull the delay out of the pedal, I like the Superchips. I've tried the pedal calibration a few times and it doesn't make the same adjustment that the Superchips did for me.

I guess I should wrap up with saying that I've run the Superchips for almost 10 years and I've only had the Jscan for a couple now. I bought a pack of licenses knowing that I surround myself with jeep folk. It does nice things that the Superchips can't touch but I've not found a throttle delay reduction in Jscan.

Last edited by karls10jk; 12-10-2020 at 04:24 PM.
Old 12-15-2020, 03:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
It will work with a whole bevy of vgate iCar OBDII scanners (search Amazon). Looks like they went up a little in cost as these things used to be $12-15. Still cheap with the $20 app license though. Worth it for the diagnostics alone. You definitely don't have to go high end like BlueDriver (I have one of these too and they are nice as a diagnostics tool that works with all vehicles).

Supported and Not Supported OBD Adapters ? JScan
I bought the Icar vgate obd2 module and downloaded the JScan app, quiet impressive especially considering the modest price! Corrected my speedometer for my tire size! That alone was worth it! Yesterday for some unknown reason my mileage display changed to metric (kilometers ) plugged in the vgate and changed it back to USA ( miles) handy tool to keep in the glovebox!
thanks for the recommendation!
Cam
Old 12-16-2020, 01:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

I have a SuperChips TD2, JScan, and HP Tuners. They all have their place. JScan is the cheapest and easiest, but limited "tuning" capability. HP Tuners is the most expensive and complex, but will do anything you want to do with it.

Quick Reply: Programmer info