Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Question for doorless/topless jeepers

Old 08-01-2011, 02:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for doorless/topless jeepers

My GF and I were talking the other day about what we would do during a robbery (her friend was recently robbed at gunpoint) and it brought up a question I wanted to ask the Jeep community:

Have any of you ever been robbed, carjacked, or assaulted while driving topless and/or doorless? What did you do? What would you do?
Old 08-01-2011, 03:06 AM
JK Super Freak

I think those odds apply to anyone, not just Jeepers. I think we have just as much chance getting carjacked as a Prius with their windows down. If you were in a buttoned down car, I guess you'd be less of a target due to the difficulty factor.

And when it happens, you don't have much of a choice. Just offer up your wallet and say you don't want any trouble and hope that's the extent of the damage. Being a hero could truly get you hurt, regardless of what you drive.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Drive over them
Old 08-01-2011, 03:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ChryslerChris
I think those odds apply to anyone, not just Jeepers. I think we have just as much chance getting carjacked as a Prius with their windows down. If you were in a buttoned down car, I guess you'd be less of a target due to the difficulty factor.

And when it happens, you don't have much of a choice. Just offer up your wallet and say you don't want any trouble and hope that's the extent of the damage. Being a hero could truly get you hurt, regardless of what you drive.
That is certainly true. Luckily for me it has never happened but because of our discussion I actually had a dream about being carjacked last night.

I figured, as long as no one with me was in any immediate danger (they weren't getting overly violent with my GF or if I had a kid with me or anything) then I would just give them what they want and let insurance take care of it. BUT If they started getting violent and attacking my GF or something I would probably do something stupid and try something. I have different things hidden throughout the jeep that can be used as a defensive weapon in order to protect myself and my family.

Of course, I have no idea how I would react unless I am actually put in that situation. Its one of those things I hope I never have to find out.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:24 AM
JK Newbie

Have any of you ever been robbed, carjacked, or assaulted while driving topless and/or doorless? What did you do? What would you do? [/QUOTE]

Thats a good enough reason to put a monster 6" lift and some 39s, if you can't get in it you can't steal it.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Come out to Carroll County, MD, it's much safer out here...
Old 08-01-2011, 03:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bmidd31
Come out to Carroll County, MD, it's much safer out here...
As soon as I can afford to move to a safer place, I will. Right now I just try to spend most of my jeepin' time driving out near my dads place in Monrovia/Frederick area.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:21 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

I would hate to ever be put in that situation, but I would have to think that along with there being disadvantages of riding doorless/topless there would also be advantages, where it might even be more of a deterrent for a car jacker.

Advantages that I could think of:
- If the situation escalated to where I needed to flee for my life...I have more exits to flee through.
- Guns can shoot through glass, where having glass becomes a barrier only for me if the need for me to take the offensive to defend myself. In other words, I have a better chance of disarming someone if there's nothing in my way. This could actually be more of a deterrent for a would be car jacker, since they are cowards and might decide to avoid putting themselves in a situation where there's nothing between themselves and the victim. Really, doors and glass probably only make yourself feel safer, but you're really not.
- After the perpetrator has stolen my vehicle, the Jeep still has no doors or top, giving police more advantages of being able to stop the perpetrator on the run.
- If they are car jacking for the purposes of taking parts to sell on the black market, having no doors or roof might have just lowered the incentive for them to steal my vehicle. Thus, Less parts to sell....Is anyone going to buy a car with no doors or roof?
- Having No doors or roof would certainly make it easier for police to identify the vehicle. Thus, harder for the perpetrator to blend in with the crowd to escape.
- They're certainly not going to be able to out run the police with that low geared slow V6 JK engine......unless an offroad mountain range is nearby.

Last edited by Rednroll; 08-01-2011 at 04:54 AM.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:43 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Mredkilledmyz
My GF and I were talking the other day about what we would do during a robbery (her friend was recently robbed at gunpoint) and it brought up a question I wanted to ask the Jeep community:

Have any of you ever been robbed, carjacked, or assaulted while driving topless and/or doorless? What did you do? What would you do?
Depending on the situation:

1. Drive away

2. Pull my weapon

3. Pull my weapon and discharge a few rounds into the center of their thoracic cavity

Its just not in my personality to give things up. In Georgia, an individual has the right to protect themselves and their property.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:44 AM
jdk
JK Freak

I hope to never be in that position, and most of the time I have a 100lb French Mastiff with a bad attitude towards strangers in the back seat. But if ever in that position I would be considered an uncoorpative victium, I get very angry when people try to take thing I worked for.

Quick Reply: Question for doorless/topless jeepers