Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

questions/suggestions about top damage

Old 07-01-2009, 04:25 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default questions/suggestions about top damage

Long story short I was going down a trail and rubbed up against a tree...
The top of my jeep on the right side has slight scratches that were white and bugged the shirt out of me, so for the time being I painted over them with some paint that is very close in color so its harder to see...

I want to fix my top and had a question about whether my thoughts were a good idea or if anyone else has done the same thing..

First, the trim color for the jeep is E5DD is this the color of the top?
If so I have a buddy that is going to school for automotive fabrication that says he can sand down that right side of the jeep, and go over it with some kind of bumper paint that comes from autozone, and it would match the texture. Then we could use the E5DD paint to go over the new texture, and this would not only get out the scratches, but also match exactly to the rest of the top... Do yall think this would work?

Thanks,
Garrett

Last edited by GaryOU; 07-01-2009 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Battle scars dude! It's a jeep thing....
Old 07-01-2009, 05:04 PM
JK Newbie

Dude I totally agree... I just stepped up from an 05 tj, and that thing had a ton of battle scratches.. This one is completely stock and the scratches are bugging the shit out of me
Old 07-01-2009, 05:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

This past weekend I had the doors and windows off but left my soft top on because it was WAY too hot and I had to at least keep the sun off me. I was going down this clay trail at a steep side angle when my rear end lost grip and I slid sideways into a solid clay wall hard enough to rip my top Now I have to replace my soft top because there's no way to just fix it so it won't leak At least you don't need a new top - KY
Old 07-01-2009, 06:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Aye Battle Scars, at least they were from a trail and not a parking lot

Welcome to the forum!
Old 07-01-2009, 06:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

welcome to to forum, I doubt those will be your last scratches on the jeep if you continue to wheel it, I dont believe you can match the finish of the top once you sand it down the top will be smooth and that bumper paint wont get the slight bumpy finish the top has now If you really want to try I suggest getting a can of it and painting something smooth with it to test it.

good luck
Old 07-01-2009, 06:48 PM
JK Newbie

i just said bumper paint bc i didnt know exactly what is was called? it like rhino liner, but its for bumpers. My buddy says that u can spray it to the consistancy that you want..

Im more worried about the paint! I cant figure out what the code is?? like i mentioned the inside of the jeep says the trim color is Ed55 is this also the color of the top?
Old 07-02-2009, 06:17 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a ton of battle scars on my Jeep. You just let em be. It builds your Jeeps character.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:19 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GaryOU
i just said bumper paint bc i didnt know exactly what is was called? it like rhino liner, but its for bumpers. My buddy says that u can spray it to the consistancy that you want..

Im more worried about the paint! I cant figure out what the code is?? like i mentioned the inside of the jeep says the trim color is Ed55 is this also the color of the top?
ok good luck with that and post pics when you are done. you are asking about the paint code but you are going to use the bumper paint? now you say its like rhino liner which makes me think its the duplicolor bedliner spray If you do sand it I would just use 3m scotch brite pads so you so smooth out the surface of the top. If you call a local autobody supply co they should be able tell you the paint code. I still say no way you are going to get it to match the rest of the top just my opinion
Old 07-02-2009, 09:52 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe it's time to do a Color match top????

Other than that...use a sharpie black pen and call it a war wound & scare.....CHICKS DIG SCARES!!!!

Quick Reply: questions/suggestions about top damage