Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Radio and Nav not working

Old 04-09-2016, 04:49 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio and Nav not working

Have an '08 JKU Sahara and my radio/Nav rarely works. I have read a lot about connection problems with them, and have taken my dash apart and can see that it doesn't take much wiggling to unplug it. Does anyone have a fix for this? And if I buy an after market radio will the same thing happen? Thanks.
Old 04-10-2016, 05:54 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

When you say "Connection problem" what exactly are you referring to? The main connectors are pretty solidly plugged. The antenna cables which are standard Fakra connectors are questionable but are mostly solid connections.

Describing the actual problems you're experiencing would help.

Often disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes and reconnecting will make many problems go away.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:11 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rednroll
When you say "Connection problem" what exactly are you referring to? The main connectors are pretty solidly plugged. The antenna cables which are standard Fakra connectors are questionable but are mostly solid connections. Describing the actual problems you're experiencing would help. Often disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes and reconnecting will make many problems go away.
It's the main connection. Sometimes nothing works, sometimes just the touch screen works with no radio sound, and sometimes everything works fine. When I took it apart I thought I had fixed it with a zip tie to hold the wires in a certain place as everything was working at the time, put it back together everything was still working. The next time I got in it (about 2 hours later) the radio wasn't working.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator

Here's a connector diagram for the Navi radio.

http://shadowsstation.ch/attachments...elbelegung.pdf

There's very few connections on that connector that could cause the symptoms you're describing.

Here's the options.

1. B+ or GND: If either of these wires get disconnected, the entire system will stop working.

2. CAN +/-: If either of these wires get disconnected, the radio may have the problems you're describing. However, these wires are the vehicle interface. The information on these wires tells the radio if Ignition is on, what your current speed is, Light dimming/headlight status, Gear position. This may impact the radio sound if the CAN bus is disconnected for a period of time. It should not have an impact that would cause the touch screen to stop functioning.

3. Speaker Outputs: Hopefully obvious what these do. It is possible that if any of these wires short together or get shorted to ground, then the radio can go into a self protection mode and stop outputting the sound. Not likely to stop the touch screen from working. However it could depend on how much current a short situation is drawing.

Do you have the premium audio system? Infinity or Kenwood? This could potentially have additional symptoms related to the CAN +/- connections, as it relates to sound cutting in/out.

If you can post a better description of the symptoms it would help in narrowing down where the likely problem is located.

Last edited by Rednroll; 04-10-2016 at 08:36 AM.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:42 AM
JK Newbie

I don't believe it's anything to do with the speakers/sound system. I can still play CDs and use the AUX cord. It's just the radio that won't play.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by reedVL721
I don't believe it's anything to do with the speakers/sound system. I can still play CDs and use the AUX cord. It's just the radio that won't play.
Then it's most likely the white Fakra antenna connection. AUX and CD is nothing different from AM/FM radio to the system for the rest of the connections.

The Gold and Blue Fakra connectors are for Sat radio and Navigation (GPS)

Last edited by Rednroll; 04-10-2016 at 09:02 AM.
Old 04-10-2016, 09:01 AM
JK Newbie

Okay thanks for the help!

Quick Reply: Radio and Nav not working