Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Radio and rain?

Old 07-24-2011, 12:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just remember, once the magic blue smoke comes out you can't put it back in.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:36 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't worry about a few drops here or there, but constantly getting it rained on or wet is someplace I wouldn't go. Good luck dealing with fried dash electronics and how much of a nightmare they can be. Remember it's water resistant not proof.

Sent from my TBolt with 4GEEZ!
Old 07-24-2011, 12:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

My gig has been rained on in the past. Try to keep it dry but can't always. Still kickin good.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:50 PM
JK Jedi

when I upgrade to a new unit .......it will be a marine grade stereo and the speakers will be the "wakeboard" brand, waterproof and will mount to the roll bar
Old 07-24-2011, 01:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AK4Dave

There's a difference between taking the top off and exposing it to rain, or actually pushing water in under pressure. I don't care what anybody says, electronics and water don't mix. Like I said, you may not see any problems right away.........but wait a few years. But if you're good with it, by all means HAVE AT IT.....!!!
Electronics and water don't mix really fooled me I always go for a swim with my radio
Old 07-24-2011, 03:21 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by medic_23387
Electronics and water don't mix really fooled me I always go for a swim with my radio
well you seem to think so by pressure washin' your dash. But hey...whatever flips your prop....
Old 07-24-2011, 04:10 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just wait it wont be long until these guys are asking questions like....HELP my lights don't work, HELP my Jeep wont start, HELP my A/C quit blowing...I think you get the idea.

Pressure wash away...its your Jeep
Old 07-24-2011, 06:06 PM
JK Junkie

I just throw a waterproof jacket with a towel underneath over the dash and steering column.

Rain for hours on the jeep, take off the cover, and its dry as Hell. Throw towel and jacket in the dryer for a bit, ready for more
Old 07-25-2011, 06:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

My jeep got rained in again last night. I have a hard top and being a wife, I always have to depend on help from my husband to take the top on and off. So my hard top has been off since May, if it goes back on who to say when it will come back off. I do have a bikini top but with these pop up thunderstorms it is impossible to get that on in time. Everything works still and has for the past 4 1/2 years. When the time comes when something breaks I am sure I will not be bitching since it has already taken 4 1/2 years of being rained in. I would be concerned however with the new JK's especially how the controls are on the steering wheel. At least the radio gets some protection from the windshield when you are parked on an incline.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just have a garbage bag in the back seat that I place over the radio and wedge a baseball hat that is on the stick shifter, to keep it in place. It seems to work.

Quick Reply: Radio and rain?