Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Rain?

Old 06-12-2008, 07:20 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rain?

Yea yea.... Dumb question

What do you guys do in the event of a rain? Rhino lining is out of the question, as it's too expensive, and I was considering some IGGEEs and the Mopar rubber floor kit, or possibly the Best top cab cover.

Weather is unpredictable here, but I'd love to be able to leave the top off all the time. I figure the Iggees will keep my butt dry if it rains.

Does teh carpet need to be replaced? Or is it better to just rip it out if it gets wet? Or is a wet carpet fine in the summer??? What do you guys do for summer preparations?

Is the cab cover unneccessary???

Any details would be appreciated... I don't feel like spending money unneccessarily, but I'd also like to avoid unpleasant commutes!
Old 06-13-2008, 09:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

drive really fast!

I got some RRC neoprene seat vest and mopar slush mats, and I have been caught top down many times. I just pull into a bank or car wash and put the top up.
I f it got too much water, I would pull the carpet, let it dry in the sun, and pop the drain plugs if needed
Old 06-13-2008, 09:33 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Winter = Doors w/hard top
Summer = Bikini and no doors

Durring the summer I have a trail cover (cab cover) I use in case it rains... if I'm driving, I just try not to have to stop too much. My carpet has gotten wet before and I just let it dry out. Although it does take a while to dry out it seems.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the nets on and doors off...I have seat glovers and the mopar floor liner. I park it at night under a carport. I guess if I was going to leave it out in the weather then I would pull the drain plugs during the summer and put them back in when I put the top back on. Good luck.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:28 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by brian_crystal
I have the nets on and doors off...I have seat glovers and the mopar floor liner. I park it at night under a carport. I guess if I was going to leave it out in the weather then I would pull the drain plugs during the summer and put them back in when I put the top back on. Good luck.
Would you reccommend the liner, or is it not worth it?

I'm not so much concerned with rain while driving, but what about overnights??? Do you all button up for rain storms every night???
Old 06-17-2008, 04:34 PM
JK Junkie

Odd.... Left the top off this weekend. Woke up sunday morning to puddles everywhere. I pulled the drain plugs, and drove without a hitch.

Monday Morning (Rain had stopped... it was kind of misting), turned on the jeep fine, but my entire dashboard was dead.

The headlights were on, even with the switch off, turn signals didn't work, the gauges were alll black, and unresponsive, as was the stereo.

Now all my doors were on, the top was on, only the rear windows were out. I drove to work, about 15 minutes away, and sat in the parking lot reading the manual about fuses, and all of a sudden there was a click and the dash came to life on its own.

Is this a rain issue???
Old 06-17-2008, 04:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've been caught in a few Texas Thunder Storms without doors and the top down going 60mph. As long as you don't stop you'll be ok. I've had water spilling over the tube /lower door sill thingy. All ya do is pull the plugs and drive around. The carpet does take a while to dry. I'm thinkin about using the el-cheapo roll on bed liner found at your local auto zone/pep boys. It's like 80.00 for a gal of the stuff. And then for winter you could put the carpet back in if you'd like. All my plugs are out and sitting in the rear hatch. I've got the yes fabric and when it rains I hand wipe off and go. The only real prob i've had is driving through the rain is with the top up and the doors off. the inside windshield fogs up and I have to spend 45sec washing the dang thing. I love the way people look at ya like your crazy or a fool. It's a Jeep thing, they just don't get it.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:24 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone have a pic of the Mopar rubber floor liner? Since my soft doors leak a bit I think this might be a better solution to rhinoliner.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:06 PM
no9
JK Newbie

I roll with the soft top in the summer if they say its gonna rain just put it back up.I hate the stench of rain water carpet so I just bring the windows along if there a chance. Usually don't take off the doors if theres a chance of rain
Old 06-18-2008, 08:59 AM
JK Newbie

i used to worry about it when i had my carpet in but know since i have sprayed textured durabak18 i don't worry about it at all. Just pulll the drain plugs and leave them out. that way if you get caught in a thunder storm you dont have to worry about the water building up. it also makes cleaning the interior pretty much a hose out job. i only had about 130 in it. if you already have a shutz gun then it would be around 100 to do the whole tub, depending on the colors you choose. some are more expensive than others that is why herculiner is affordable because you can usually only get it in black. by the way herciliner is made by the same company as durabak.

Quick Reply: Rain?