Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Rain?

Old 06-18-2008, 10:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wayland1985
Does teh carpet need to be replaced? Or is it better to just rip it out if it gets wet? Or is a wet carpet fine in the summer??? What do you guys do for summer preparations?

Is the cab cover unneccessary???

My carpet has gotten soaked and dried many times so far with no problems. Just leave the top down when it's not raining and give it air.

I think the cab cover is essential. I'm leaving the doors off for the summer and the top is down unless it is raining, so I got the cover that has the door flaps. I usually cover it up at night if theres a chance of rain and keep it with me when I go to work b/c of the unpredictable weather here. Just take a peek at accuweather now and then and if one of those thunderstorms may roll through just throw the cover on in case. If its raining when you leave to go home just throw the top up if you want to keep her dry.

Originally Posted by wayland1985

Is this a rain issue???
Sounds like one to me. Sounds like maybe the water was causing a short somewhere and the driving may have shaken it around and gotten it outa there. Luckily there was no damage. I just wouldn't let it get rained in overnight without any precautions taken. Happened to me once and I got real lucky.....now I learned my lesson and check before bed if something might come through. It only takes 3 mins to put the cab cover on, alot less time than replacing electronics.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:26 AM
JK Super Freak

I just get wet. I keep the safari on for shade and some rain protection especially for the dash but I am doorless. If the forcast calls for rain I do cover it with a tarp when parked but otherwise I either wait to go somewhere till the rain stops or get wet. Now in spring, fall or winter when it is more likely to be cold and rain I keep the hardtop and doors on and pull the top or doors on good days when I want to (mainly the weekends).
Old 06-18-2008, 06:46 PM
JK Freak

i run with the safari top on, doors off (unless i have my kids then the back doors are on). i removed the floor carpets and am using the mopar "slush" mats to protect the floor til i use the rhino liner.

when my carpets did get wet, usually by the end of the next day they were dry. if not, i used my shop vac to pull the excess water out...

oh yeah, my drain plugs are all pulled.

im so loving the jeep thing! and so do my kids!!!!
Old 06-19-2008, 04:22 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mr. T
i'm doorless and typically topless for the summer. pulled the carpet and plugs. for work, i'll just bring work clothes in a bag and change when i get there if the seat is still a little wet. but, as said, in the event of a massive storm, find an overpass, put the top back up. only your leg will get a little wet.

rain when it is really hot out feels great, and people definitely look at you funny at traffic lights...

I am new to this JK thing, I have a Freedom top that I have just been removing the front pieces so far (Michigan is so unpredictable). I got caught in the rain (warm rain) and it was enjoyable I agree, but you are right , the looks you get HAHAHA Priceless. I should grab up my camera phone next time it happens and take their pic lol
Old 06-19-2008, 01:30 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

had a nice little thunderstorm last night. i had the back three windows off and got a nice tub full of water. now i had my storage cover out and all the water gathered in the little tub where the jack is. the jack was fully submerged. haha.

so will this effect the jack?
Old 06-20-2008, 07:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mikeyfl
had a nice little thunderstorm last night. i had the back three windows off and got a nice tub full of water. now i had my storage cover out and all the water gathered in the little tub where the jack is. the jack was fully submerged. haha.

so will this effect the jack?
First pull the plug in the jack compartment. Second it will rust if left to stand. Put a little oil on the threads.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:41 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i pulled the plug when i checked the tub. i was surprised when i saw the amount of water that was released! much more than the storage cubby.

Quick Reply: Rain?