Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Rain Covers

Old 11-19-2008, 07:05 AM
Kes
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rain Covers

I'm looking for some input on which rain cover I should get and what some of the differences might be between them. I want something light that goes on quick and comes with a stuff sack that won't take up much room. I have a 4-door Rubicon and I want it to cover the entire door opening.

I've found three that might fit the bill and wanted to know if anyone had some insight on them.

Bestop All Weather Trail Cover:

Covercraft NOAH Quick Cover

Covercraft WeatherShield Quick Cover

Can anyone shed some light on the difference between these covers? (Yes, I know the last two pics are identical but that's what's listed on the the Quadratec site.)
Old 11-19-2008, 04:31 PM
JK Newbie

I got the MOPAR cover and it is NOT rainproof especially in a moderate rain.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:52 PM
JK Freak

I need one of these
Old 11-20-2008, 03:44 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

The Bestop trail cover is quite excellent. Mine stood up to a hail storm that severely dented the hood of the JK (see pic below). It also stands up to the Oklahoma winds--being well-secured from coming free.

Having said that, it is not ever again going to fit in that little bag that they sell you with it. When rolled up, it's about twice the size of that bag. One person can remove it easily enough (though two are quicker), but expect it to take up a fair amount of space when stored--let's say about 1-1/2-to-2 basketballs in size.

Old 11-20-2008, 03:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Any other opinions? I'm thinking about grabbing one of these also.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

I plan on getting one of these for the summer. I was looking at the Covercraft Weathershield. I cant decide of getting a black cover instead of gray is worth the $.

Weathershield - breathable fabric that's both water resistant and is about 1/3 the weight of other covers! Slip it on at night before hitting the sack. Keeps dew, dust & pollen from settling on your interior while offering protection from those uncertain weather. Includes coverage for the door areas. Includes a matching FREE storage tote bag. Available in 8 colors.

NOAH - This design utilizes the breathable NOAH fabric that's water resistant, light weight and less money. Available in gray fabric only. Leave that top down overnight but slip the Quick Cover on when you do. Keeps dew, dust and pollen from settling on your interior while guaranteeing protection from those uncertain weather forecasts. Tote not included.

Last edited by smalls; 11-20-2008 at 04:35 AM.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:55 AM
Kes
JK Enthusiast

I'm not nearly as concerned about color as I am about having something that not only keeps the rain out but will go back into it's stuff sack when I'm done. I'll be 20 miles away from home with the doors off and need something I can slap on quick, but when I'm done I can't have a giant blanket flapping around in the back seat.

Thanks for the input so far, any other thoughts out there?
Old 11-20-2008, 06:26 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Kes
... when I'm done I can't have a giant blanket flapping around in the back seat. ...
You may just be facetious, but it doesn't have to be a "giant blanket flapping." I roll mine up. In fact, it's much easier to handle rolled up; somewhat awkward if it's just a big pile of vinyl fabric.

Hey, I see you backpack: You might try a compression sack!
Old 11-20-2008, 06:54 AM
Kes
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
You may just be facetious, but it doesn't have to be a "giant blanket flapping." I roll mine up. In fact, it's much easier to handle rolled up; somewhat awkward if it's just a big pile of vinyl fabric.

Hey, I see you backpack: You might try a compression sack!
Thanks for the input Mark. Yeah, I was being a bit facetious but my point is more of getting it back into the stuff sack. It was mentioned earlier that it won't ever go back in to the sack and I want one that would stow away again so I don't have to worry about it catching wind on the highway and being sucked out of the top on my way home from work.

Compression sack might work but it doesn't look like the material compresses much.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by N2rock
One think I don't understand- there is a brass grommet halfway up the door, toward the front (if you look closely at the picture you posted you can barely see it. I have no idea what that is for
I was just looking at covers and there is a lock you can get from quadratec that uses that to lock the cover to prevent theft of the cover. Here is a link to it from quadratec.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/21085_00.htm

Quick Reply: Rain Covers