Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Rear rotors replaced under 35,000km - dealership made me pay?

Old 09-16-2013, 04:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear rotors replaced under 35,000km - dealership made me pay?

Took my wrangler in for service and dealership told me my rear brakes needed replaced (rotors & pads) because the disc brakes were not disengaging. They said this was due to wheelin and getting "dirt and gunk" in there which caused my pads to get worn out. Told me I had to pay, not under warrenty.

I spoke to another Jeeper who said this is b.s. as its under 60,000km so should be covered, I had an issue with my e-brake earlier in the year so am thinking it seized and they decided to replace the whole thing.

They charged me over $600 which doesnt seem right. I'm not the most argumentative person and didnt think to say anything or question them but now I am. Planning to talk to my dealer tomorrow to ask for refund.

Wondering if anyone had similar issue or any advice? lol I dont want to be ripped off but also don't want to argue with them and get my warranty voided.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Many pepole have had to replace rear pads very early. A search on here will bring up many people who have had the same issue. I had to do pads and a caliper at 16k miles after the rear brakes locked up while driving. I think it has more to do with an over active traction control system. The off roading is not a factor. I reported it to the ntsb. Its a pretty serious saftey issue when brake pads fail and lock up at 16k miles with no warning. Maybe when enough people report it we can get a recall and the issue addressed.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Appreciate the input! anyone else had their pads replaced early in mileage???

When the guy described it to me he made it sound like something I had done or caused, I'm thinking sounds more like a Caliper issue which is covered under warranty, but they blame it on something else and say I have to pay. I spoke to a guy who said if my ebrake seized it only effects one of the pads but Chrysler will replace both. Seized caliper is what causes pads to get worn out then I don't think I should have to pay.

Not sure if I'm wrong here or not, appreciate some fellow Jeep love on this
Old 09-16-2013, 10:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rubi_Chill
Many pepole have had to replace rear pads very early. A search on here will bring up many people who have had the same issue. I had to do pads and a caliper at 16k miles after the rear brakes locked up while driving. I think it has more to do with an over active traction control system. The off roading is not a factor. I reported it to the ntsb. Its a pretty serious saftey issue when brake pads fail and lock up at 16k miles with no warning. Maybe when enough people report it we can get a recall and the issue addressed.
x2. Same problem at 23,000. I heard and smelled the drivers side (I think) lock up one day on a long drive. In the coming days I heard an annoying click and needed new pads. I think it was a $220 fix at the dealership. They did it on a Saturday during an oil change with no appointment so it sounded good to me.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:55 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Sahara_Steve
... They said this was due to wheelin and getting "dirt and gunk" in there which caused my pads to get worn out. ....
Tell them that the only "wheeling" you do is to visit your dear old widowed mom who lives down a dirt road and has a dirt driveway, and why the heck is driving a Jeep on a dirt road that is sometimes muddy when it snows not covered by the warranty? Or something like that. Or, if you had mud caked up there because you do something like this ...

you might just have to accept the consequences of your actions.

BTW, just so you know: If your dealer allows this under warranty, he's being very nice to you. The warranty on brakes (rotors, pads, linings, and drums) is only 12,000 miles (20,000 km).

Quick Reply: Rear rotors replaced under 35,000km - dealership made me pay?