Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Removing the Hardtop Alone

Old 09-21-2007, 12:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing the Hardtop Alone

Is there any easy way to remove the back piece of the freedom top by your onesies without a hoist or similar apparatus? Maybe some sort of method of lifting?
Old 09-21-2007, 12:28 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by DeepSky
Is there any easy way to remove the back piece of the freedom top by your onesies without a hoist or similar apparatus? Maybe some sort of method of lifting?
Light grill, cook steaks, tap keg.... helpers will appear

Edit: seriously though I have no idea without a hoist... I did bearhug ours to move it.. but I wouldnt wanna take it off that way... its not that heavy, but it is awkward. I made a hoist out a $13 boat winch $35 worth of pulleys and eyehooks, $15 worth of 2x4's and some foam I found

Last edited by bly109; 09-21-2007 at 12:32 PM.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:51 PM
JK Newbie

I've owned my JK for 2 weeks now and already took it off twice by myself.

This is ONLY FOR 2-DOORS
Obviously have the front panels off. Undo the 6 torx bolts and unplug the harness. Have the rear gate and the doors wide open. Lift the ends out near the front doors so the pins come out of the alignment holes. It will flex just a little bit - no biggy. I then sat on the edge of the tailgate and lifted the front up so the rubber bushings cleared the sound bar. At the same time, have your other hand unerneath the back at the rear glass and lift and slide back. If you just try sliding it straight back, you'll rip the rubber bumpers off the front. It''l come back far enough to where you can get a good grip on the front and back while standing under it. It's basically like doing a full military press. It just takes a little balance. I'd say it weighs 60-80lbs. So if you can squat that much, then you should be good. Set the front end down on the ground and then lean the top up on the front edge (door jams), so the glass is up in the air. When you're ready to put it back, sticka hand under the middle/front (where the freedom panels meet). Put another hand under the back near the glass. Lean it back, balance it and squat it. You can walk it back to the Jeep and set it up enough to let go of the front. Just do everything in reverse from there.

I'd suggest laying a towel over the tailgate so you don't scratch the top. Also have something on the ground to set the top on. I also noticed it was WAY easier with the back seat out.

Good Luck
Old 09-22-2007, 06:28 PM
JK Newbie

My solution - since I have no room for a hoist - was to build a shelf. I back up to the shelf (with the window up) and from the cargo area I lift, get the back on the shelf and slide it the rest of the way on (it's carpeted). Eventually the area underneath will be setup to hold the front panels and doors...

Old 09-22-2007, 06:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Levitate it w/ lots of helium balloons.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:04 PM
JK Freak

4 eyehooks in cieling rafters, 4 ratchet straps is all thats needed
Old 09-22-2007, 07:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Thanks for all the replies guys. Unfortunatly I live at an Apt complex and have no cieling I could use for any sort of stand or hoist.

But my buddy has a shed in his back yard that I might be able to persuade him to let me use for something like Indy suggested.

Until then I guess I'll just bribe a friend into helping me in return for a ride in the jeep
Old 09-22-2007, 07:25 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I lift the top off with one hand while opening the door for my wife with the other! She offered to help, but I said, no thanks, I got it!
Old 09-22-2007, 07:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Rubimon
I lift the top off with one hand while opening the door for my wife with the other! She offered to help, but I said, no thanks, I got it!
You're manliness is superb :P
Old 09-22-2007, 07:29 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Without building some sort of a rig or hoist I don'e see how it could be done safely. I bet It could be done, but you're just asking for damage doing it by yourself.

Quick Reply: Removing the Hardtop Alone