Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Removing sway bar links on road

Old 01-31-2009, 11:29 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing sway bar links on road

I heard that some Jeepers remove the sway bar links on the road!
This can be dangerous... how do you take a curve at 45 mph ?!?! Not afraid of roll over? I want to know if some members of this forum do it
Old 01-31-2009, 11:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Not the smart ones.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:27 PM
JK Junkie

Won't disconnecting bring on the death wobble? A friend of mine forgot to reconnect after a day of wheeling and on the way home hit a couple bumps and it started to sway badly, he realized he forgot to reconnect the sway bar up front, fixed it and all was good.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by absoluttorque
Won't disconnecting bring on the death wobble?
Nope, no reason why it should. True 'Death Wobble' is assosciated with something wrong with your track bar.
I drove around with my sway bar essentially disconnected for a couple days as I was waiting for a replacement link...while moving the ones from the back up front I had a problem with one that seized so I had to cut it off, so no sway bar for a couple days...you'll get more body roll on corners but thats about it, drive sane no problem
Old 02-01-2009, 12:12 AM
wgr
JK Enthusiast

14 months now without and i have no need to install them back. Of course i have to use lower speeds for corners etc but not really that much. Canīt see reason why to connect, only the day i am going to sell my jk then but not before.

Some people think this is unsafe....but it really depend of how you drive and plan ahead while driving. When you know what it can do and what canīt itīs kind of fun. ESP off itīs a bit more handfull on tight gravel roads but manageable.
People who have no long term experience without are usually against it more strongly.

This all is not to say anyone should disconnect but only my opinion and keep them if you have no reason to take them away.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Havn't disco'd the JK yet, and most likely won't as it's the wifes DD, however about 4 years ago I was wheeling in my 94XJ 6" lift and 33's. Forgot to re-connect after wheeling. The next weekend I hooked up the boat for a trip to OC Maryland. As I was driving down a long straight stretch of back road in SE Pa, a woman backed out of her driveway. I swerved to miss her and almost lost it. Was only going about 40 mph but what an experience. I think the boat saved my ass. The XJ never felt like that before, then I remembered. Got under and connected the JKS quick disconnects for the rest of the trip.
IMHO, having the anti-swaybar disconnected is for off road only.

Last edited by Lorrel; 02-02-2009 at 01:42 AM.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:02 PM
wgr
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lorrel
Havn't disco'd the JK yet, and most likely won't as it's the wifes DD, however about 4 years ago I was wheeling in my 94XJ 6" lift and 33's. Forgot to re-connect after wheeling. The next weekend I hooked up the boat for a trip to OC Maryland. As I was driving down a long straight stretch of back road in SE Pa, a woman backed out of her driveway. I swerved to miss her and almost lost it. Was only going about 40 mph but what an experience. I think the boat saved my ass. The JK never felt like that before, then I remembered. Got under and connected the JKS quick disconnects for the rest of the trip.
IMHO, having the anti-swaybar disconnected is for off road only.

JK...or XJ ??? 4 years ago ? If JK and you had your ESP on it´s not that bad at all. very manageable and stays under control...test it if you don´t believe me !
But then again...why to disconnect it if you have no need to. I don´t have quicks.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fixed it, and you are right, the XJ dosn't have ESP.

Quick Reply: Removing sway bar links on road