Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Review - Softtop Thermal liner

Old 10-31-2007, 11:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This the only vendor I've seen so far that offers something like this. The liner attaches via adhesive-backed velcro that sticks to the soft top, right? I wonder how long the adhesion will last? The humidity and heat down here are brutal.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think it's a great idea, but don't care for the looks of it that much....kinda' looks like the lining of a coffin.
Hopefully, there's a choice of fabrics?
Old 10-31-2007, 02:46 PM
JK Newbie

I wonder how good the hardtop sticks...
Old 10-31-2007, 08:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dmerc
I think it's a great idea, but don't care for the looks of it that much....kinda' looks like the lining of a coffin.
Hopefully, there's a choice of fabrics?
I know the pattern/fabric reminds me of something from the 70s or 80s... I know it serves a purpose but I would think it could look better.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheDog218
Paul could you tell us where we can get this and aprox. cost??

Just find insulating fabric, such as used for curtains maybe....get the needed velcro, dump it all in your wifes' lap, then shout: "GET TO WORK WOMAN!!!
Old 11-02-2007, 06:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dmerc
Just find insulating fabric, such as used for curtains maybe....get the needed velcro, dump it all in your wifes' lap, then shout: "GET TO WORK WOMAN!!!
See post 23.

SV
Old 11-04-2007, 04:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Paul R
I received and installed my softtop thermal liner late last week from Colorado Jeepman. The install went fairly easily, but does involve some tight accesses inside your Jeep. The liner is a 3M Thinsulate blanket that attaches to the top bows and header bar, completely covering the top interior from stem to stern. The top I received does not have cutouts to go around the bow hardware at the sides, but I am assured by the vendor that all future liners will have this.

As to how it works...it does substantially insulate from outside sound, as I noticed an immediate decrease in noise. As to insulating from the heat, the liner manages this well. It has been in the mid-to-upper 90's with high humidity here in Central Florida for the past few weeks. Before installation of the liner, I had to run my A/C on high with recirculate to keep the interior moderately cool, and even then if I was not moving, allowing the black top to heat up, the A/C could not keep up and the interior would be sweaty hot. With the liner, I am able to run my A/C at a lower fan setting without recirc and still remain cool. The liner does not shorten the amount of time it takes to cool the interior initially by much, but once cool, it helps to keep it cool.

One issue I have with the liner is that it is slightly too long (about 1-2"). The instructions say to attach the top at the back edge of the header bar nearest the driver, but I attached it as far forward on the bar as I could and I still have about 1" of slack. This causes the liner to slightly droop from the ceiling about 1" directly above the driver. This is not an issue as the top is very high on the JK and even at 6'5", the liner has 1-2" of clearance above my head. But it does not look as clean of an install as it could. Upon asking the vendor about this, they replied that the liner was purposely made 3" too long to enable it to "reach further". I am unsure what this means and have an open question with them about this.

As to dealing with this vendor, they have been responsive to my email'ed questions. I do have an issue or two still open with them and am awaiting their response.

Overall, I would recommend this liner if you need a way to cut the cabin heat in your Jeep.

Pics to follow...
Now that you have had it a couple of months... are you still satisfied with the liner?
Old 11-05-2007, 04:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

To answer the latest round of questions...

I have not had any condensation problems, but then I am in the wrong climate for that in Florida...

The material is standard 3M thinsulate lining, just like they put inside coats and jackets. I do not have a problem with the appearance, but listening to the comments above, some may not like it.

For the softtop, the liner attached via velcro straps around the top bows. The only stick-on velcro is at the front header bar, and it has held firm without any problems through some pretty severe heat.

The liner can be purchased from Colorado Jeepman for about $250. When I got mine a couple of months ago, it was $200.

Overall, I have been very happy with the top. It has held in place well, folds up with the top with no problems, and does a great job of insulating against the heat. I will find out this winter how it insulates from cold. I would recommend this for sottop owners. For hardtops, it does attach with stick-on velcro, and I am not sure how well it would stick. We'll have to wait until a hardtop owner tries it out.

One warning...the vendor did pull a small dirty trick on me during my purchase. They shipped me the wrong liner, then asked me to forward it on to the correct recipient, promising to reimburse me for that shipping cost. They stiffed me on the reimbursment and do not answer emails from me anymore.

---------
Paul

Last edited by wayoflife; 02-07-2008 at 09:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Review - Softtop Thermal liner