Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Road Trip Trailer/Bike Rack Question

Old 10-24-2010, 05:26 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road Trip Trailer/Bike Rack Question

Hey guys, this is my first post and have a few questions about an upcoming road trip I am planning. I got my '11 Rubicon Unlimited about 3 weeks ago and I love it!

I am relocating from Houston, TX out to San Diego, CA so a few friends and I are going to make a road trip out of it. I am planning on taking a 5x8 or 5x10 Uhaul trailer to bring all my stuff.

I have a trailer hitch bike rack that I use to haul my bikes, but since I will be towing a trailer, my hitch will be occupied with the Uhaul.

Has anybody seen a trailer with a hitch attached to it? Or does anyone have any other suggestions on how to take 2 bikes along. There will be no room in the trailer for the bikes.

Also if anyone has any suggestions on some cool campsite along the way, please let me know!

Thanks
Old 10-24-2010, 07:06 PM
JK Newbie

why not get a double receiver? There are many trailer places that sell them for this exact reason. You place the receiver into to your receiver on the Jeep, the trailer hitch goes into the lower slot and your bike rack goes into the upper slot. Google harbor freight as I know they sell one. Sounds like a fun trip.

Try the below link.

://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/trailer-hitch/dual-hitch-extender-99591.html

Last edited by MrBig; 10-24-2010 at 07:11 PM.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:07 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by MrBig
why not get a double receiver? There are many trailer places that sell them for this exact reason. You place the receiver into to your receiver on the Jeep, the trailer hitch goes into the lower slot and your bike rack goes into the upper slot. Google harbor freight as I know they sell one. Sounds like a fun trip.

Try the below link.

://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/trailer-hitch/dual-hitch-extender-99591.html

Thanks, that looks like it may work. I'll see if anybody around here has one... Only issue may be that the spare tire may get in the way.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:39 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just be careful if you load your bikes on the trailer. I welded a hitch to my camper trailer bumper but with the extra bouncing it actually twisted my bumper and almost lost all the bikes. The weak link was my trailer bumper metal was to thin. So, I had to beef up my bumper to take the extra weight and bouncing action.

Do you have a hardtop or does the trailer have gutter mounts? You could get gutter mount racks and load your bikes on the roof!.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:18 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TripleJeep_99
Just be careful if you load your bikes on the trailer. I welded a hitch to my camper trailer bumper but with the extra bouncing it actually twisted my bumper and almost lost all the bikes. The weak link was my trailer bumper metal was to thin. So, I had to beef up my bumper to take the extra weight and bouncing action.

Do you have a hardtop or does the trailer have gutter mounts? You could get gutter mount racks and load your bikes on the roof!.
I have a hardtop, I was looking to do something inexpensive since the move out there wont be cheap.

Ill look into gutter mounts, it may be better than the dual hitch option.

Quick Reply: Road Trip Trailer/Bike Rack Question