Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Roller vs. Hawse fairlead?

Old 02-07-2007, 09:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roller vs. Hawse fairlead?

Tried a quick google search, but couldn't find a succinct answer. What are the relative advantages of roller vs. hawse fairlead? I notice the Warn m8000 is about $50 more with the hawse fairlead and 20 feet less cable, which is completely counterintuitive for me (I would think rolly things cost more than static ones). Anyone?
Old 02-07-2007, 11:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Roller fairleads are best for wire rope, as sythetic line can get caught in the corners. Hawse fairleads are best for sythetic line, but can be used with wire rope..
Old 02-08-2007, 07:04 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeepingib
Roller fairleads are best for wire rope, as sythetic line can get caught in the corners. Hawse fairleads are best for sythetic line, but can be used with wire rope..
^ that's the general rule of thumb.
if you run wire rope across stationary metal enough, you get heat, and scoring. neither of those are good for something that can cut you clean in half when under a load. go with the roller for wire, hawse for synthetic. actually, just go with hawse and synthetic. there's no snap-back if the line parts.

Quick Reply: Roller vs. Hawse fairlead?