Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Rubicon-izing my X?

Old 05-31-2015, 07:08 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubicon-izing my X?

Hi all,

First of all, I'm not sure if this belongs here, or in stock/modified tech. It kinda falls into all three categories.

Anyway, here it goes: I'm wondering what to do to bring my '07 JKUX into 2015 and make it more Rubicon-like. I've got my lift installed and am in the process of putting on new fenders (got the fronts on, now I need the backs). I look around a lot on CL and there are lots of Rubicon take-off posts. Does anyone have any suggestions for interior/exterior upgrades I could do to upgrade/modernize? I'm not too concerned with comfort or luxury, but if it's cheap and a good project, I'm interested!
Old 05-31-2015, 07:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Put in a 4:1 rubi t case, and rubi axles with lockers! I would skip the electronic swaybar and go right for an antirock. This is the path I went with my X.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:41 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ringer
Put in a 4:1 rubi t case, and rubi axles with lockers! I would skip the electronic swaybar and go right for an antirock. This is the path I went with my X.
Yup I agree .. My 09 X model now has rubi t-case, PR44 up front, ARB air lockers, antirocks and so much more
Old 05-31-2015, 08:11 PM
JK Newbie

So a Rubicon transfer case is significantly better? What improvements does it provide?
Old 06-01-2015, 02:32 AM
JK Super Freak

I'm actually finishing this up this week. 2008 X is what I started with. I picked up a trussed and gusseted front D44 with the factory locker. I wired it straight into my spod. I added 4.88 gears and an ARB locker in the rear (I went with 35 splines sense the shafts were being replaced anyways). I kept the X rear axle seeing as it's no worse than the Rubi rear axle. I still run manual quick disconnects and have no issues with them. My Rubi transfer case should be here this week to cap it all off. If going this route all I would say is be patient. Most people want an arm and a leg for their Rubi axles and transfer cases but the most expensive part for me was the transfer case at $600 (most people ask $1-1.3k here). Look around on the forums and Facebook groups. Pirate 4x4 has a fair amount but make sure you research before you buy, a lot of stuff is custom over there. Good luck with the build! Overall you can save a lot of money building your own. Starting price difference is about $9k and if warranties don't matter and you are willing to do the work yourself, it can be done for around $2.5k (which is about what it ran me).
Old 06-01-2015, 02:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by kodiak bear
So a Rubicon transfer case is significantly better? What improvements does it provide?
It's a lower ratio and will let you "crawl" slower. The normal X, sport, Sahara, willys, etc transfer case is 2.72:1 where as the Rubi is 4:1.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:08 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JK505
I'm actually finishing this up this week. 2008 X is what I started with. I picked up a trussed and gusseted front D44 with the factory locker. I wired it straight into my spod. I added 4.88 gears and an ARB locker in the rear (I went with 35 splines sense the shafts were being replaced anyways). I kept the X rear axle seeing as it's no worse than the Rubi rear axle. I still run manual quick disconnects and have no issues with them. My Rubi transfer case should be here this week to cap it all off. If going this route all I would say is be patient. Most people want an arm and a leg for their Rubi axles and transfer cases but the most expensive part for me was the transfer case at $600 (most people ask $1-1.3k here). Look around on the forums and Facebook groups. Pirate 4x4 has a fair amount but make sure you research before you buy, a lot of stuff is custom over there. Good luck with the build! Overall you can save a lot of money building your own. Starting price difference is about $9k and if warranties don't matter and you are willing to do the work yourself, it can be done for around $2.5k (which is about what it ran me).
So, the biggest chunk of money you had to part with in a single transaction was ~$600? For all the work you're doing, how much have you been able to do yourself and how much have you had done by a shop? If welding is required, do you do it yourself?
Old 06-01-2015, 08:09 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JK505
It's a lower ratio and will let you "crawl" slower. The normal X, sport, Sahara, willys, etc transfer case is 2.72:1 where as the Rubi is 4:1.
So, when you say "crawl slower", do you mean in 4H or 4L? Or both? Sorry for my ignorance... I haven't attempted any real rock crawling.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

But why pay 2-4k per axle when you could throw one tons under it for that price?
That's how I see it anyways.

I wish I had started with the X and taken the money saved from a rubicon and spent it on mods.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 06-01-2015, 08:29 AM
Former Member

I have about 1200 bucks in my front rubi axle and rear locker and 4.10 set up you just gotta shop around

www.overlandoff-road.com

Quick Reply: Rubicon-izing my X?