Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Rust around windshield frame screws.

Old 02-08-2011, 05:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rust around windshield frame screws.

Does anyone have rust forming under the screws around the windshield frame that stain the paint around them? If so, did the dealer resolve this issue for you, and what steps did they take?
Old 02-08-2011, 05:18 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

pulled mine out along time ago (4years) and repainted them myself. I dont trust the dealership to fix complicated things much less simple things. They are gettting red again, they'll need to be redone again this spring.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Did you see any discoloration in the paint around the torx screws?
Old 02-08-2011, 05:46 AM
Eternal ***erator

Surface only, it wiped off. Beginning to show back up now. The coating on those screws isnt great.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
Surface only, it wiped off. Beginning to show back up now. The coating on those screws isnt great.
I should have been more specific, I'm talking about the actual paint of the vehicle around the torx screw. I'm beginning to see some discoloration that looks like its directly attributed to the slight corrosion.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:50 AM
Eternal ***erator

Relevant threads from a quick search:
Screws/ Bolts are rusting?

Rust already forming around the torx screws?

Rusting 2 year old jeep.

Bolt Rust

How many have rust showing?

Rust already!
Old 02-08-2011, 05:51 AM
Eternal ***erator

Originally Posted by Luke M
I should have been more clear, I'm talking about the actual paint of the vehicle around the torx screw. I'm beginning to see some discoloration that looks like its directly attributed to the slight corrosion.
I understood what you meant. My jeep is silver the discoloration showed up quickly, but i caught it before it caused permanent staining.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
I understood what you meant. My jeep is silver the discoloration showed up quickly, but i caught it before it caused permanent staining.
Oh man, I guess it's just another thing to deal with. Thanks for the threads above. I'll read through them closely.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Luke M
Oh man, I guess it's just another thing to deal with. Thanks for the threads above. I'll read through them closely.
I had the discoloration and rusting going on 1 month after I purchased it. I took it to the dealership and it was covered under warranty, which is 2 years on the paint. While your there, I would also take a good look at you door hinges and hood hinges also. I found some pitting on and around the screws on them ......
FYI if you do find and paint problems on the doors and you have taken the doors off at anytime, they won't cover it. Maybe forget to tell them you took the doors off, if they ask.......
Old 02-08-2011, 06:11 AM
JK Newbie

I noticed this on a few at the dealership when I was looking. I'm glad I waited and ordered mine rather than get last years model. It looks as if they just didn't paint the metal very good around them. All the 2011's I have seen so far seem to have a bit more paint in there...it's the first thing I checked before I drove it off the lot haha.

Quick Reply: Rust around windshield frame screws.