Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Sad Day

Old 06-11-2008, 12:46 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sad Day

It's a sad day. I think I have finally come to the conclusion that I am going to sell my 08 4dr Unlimited Rubi. A number of things have brought me to this decision, and believe it or not gas prices did not play a major role.

I live in Southern New Mexico. We get heat, a lot of heat. The black plastic top just heats up too much and the AC is not sufficient to cool the cabin down. I would have prefered a manual transmission instead of the auto. I think the JK would have more useable power than the V-6 with an auto. Unfortunately I now have the responsibility of transporting my elderly mother to dialysis three times a week and getting her in and out of the Jeep is a nightmare.

Oh well. At least I enjoyed it for a few months. I think I'm going to check on the Honda Element SC.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I am really sorry to hear that man, Best of luck to you. I hope it works out.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:01 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

youll be back.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:03 PM
JK Junkie

That's a bummer, really sorry to hear that, but it makes sense, especially having to transport your Mom to her appointments, that certainly is more important. Hopefully one day you'll be able to get another one, then you know to get the manual, also get the soft top, it's nowhere near as hot as the hard top in the summer. I have my front doors and windows off, with the top up and have yet to turn the AC on this summer.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:26 PM
JK Super Freak

I had a TJ, sold it and bought an Element, and I now have a JK on order. The Element is a good car, peppy, has lots of room, versatile, but it's no Jeep.

I know gas was not a big concern, but I am only getting 19-22 mpg in the Honda.

You will miss the Jeep. Trust me
Old 06-11-2008, 04:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sounds like time for a second car! Hope everything works out for you. I had my Lexus IS300 for a year and a half between Jeeps. You will be back when the time is right!
Old 06-11-2008, 07:32 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JKJeeper
Sounds like time for a second car! Hope everything works out for you. I had my Lexus IS300 for a year and a half between Jeeps. You will be back when the time is right!

I actually have a second car - a Mazda Miata. But it is the opposite problem with that car. Elderly mother can get in it, but it is so close to ground she can't get out of it. I'm doomed.

I'm still waffling on whether I'm gonna get rid of the JK. Decisions...Decisions.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Hmmmm...that's weird!!! Southern New Mexico gets to what 110-115F degrees right?

I live in Ontario Canada and it gets to about 37C which is about 98F...now once you add in the humidity it gets to about 115F which is about the same. I lived in El Paso and in Arizona and the dry heat is much more manageable. The AC has to work harder up here to remove the moisture in the air.

I think you are jumping the GUN!!! Dont sell your Jeep you will regret it!

With that being said....I can see it would be difficult to get your mother in and out of the Jeep.....perhaps a step stool? I saw an old couple getting in and out of a Jeep and the old man brought out a step stool to help his elderly wife in and out......talk about a DIE HARD JEEPER!

Last edited by Matador; 06-11-2008 at 07:36 PM.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Coastie
I actually have a second car - a Mazda Miata. But it is the opposite problem with that car. Elderly mother can get in it, but it is so close to ground she can't get out of it. I'm doomed.

I'm still waffling on whether I'm gonna get rid of the JK. Decisions...Decisions.
Someone just posted a roof insullation project with Home Despot materials, You might want to look into that.

Sad, you have one high, and one low vehicle, but need one just right.

Mom is real important right now, the rest can wait. You'll never regret helping her.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:47 PM
JK Junkie

man sounds like you are doing the right thing.
if you have to get rid of your jeep at least it's for a very good reason.

Quick Reply: Sad Day