Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Satellite Radio Antenna

Old 07-31-2007, 06:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to have XM in my truck and never really had any signal issues (except in tunnels). I was in California last week and I rented a Pacifica with Sirius. It was terrible. Anytime there was even a modest number of trees, it was cutting out. I would seriously think twice about getting Sirius in my JK for this reason.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:32 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by GMAN
Does the antenna receive through the padding and the soft top, or the padding and the hardtop? That's the reason I haven't purchased it yet, because apparently the antenna will not receive very well through even a window.
it does. but that doesnt say much.. I have both Sirius and XM snd sirius cuts off all the time.. I wont blame the tops though because i get the same crap reception with soft, hard and topless.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKinPA
it does. but that doesnt say much.. I have both Sirius and XM snd sirius cuts off all the time.. I wont blame the tops though because i get the same crap reception with soft, hard and topless.
Think I'll hold off until there is a better receiving system, such as a stronger signal through your own radio antenna.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blazeabago
i am kinda curious on how the reception is also. i installed my own and in my area i always have the 'aquiring signal' message. this is on a 2000 jeep grand cherokee. all i do when it happens is unplug the attennea and plug it right back in. hard to do when driving with a venti starbucks in hand so i hope it will be better in my 08 sahara when i get it since i wont be able to easily unplu the attennea
So far I have had no issues with my Sirius reception except when I drive through a tunnel.......
Old 08-05-2007, 03:46 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by LiquidSmile
Get used to it.

Sirius Radio is like that. They do not have as many Repeaters as XM, so thier coverage is not as great as XM. It should improve in the future. Mine goes out all the time, due to the trees on the right hand side of the roads that hang over...
The reception on mine sucks so bad that I probably will not go beyond the one year subscription. I think a lot of it depends on where you do your driving. Mine is in New England where there are a lot of hills and trees. I imagine that in flatter country reception is better.
Old 08-05-2007, 03:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

My jk came with a 1yr sub to sirius when that runs out can i get xm with the factory unit? It is prob a dumb question but i'll ask any way?
Old 08-05-2007, 04:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeepthrill
My jk came with a 1yr sub to sirius when that runs out can i get xm with the factory unit? It is prob a dumb question but i'll ask any way?
Not with the head unit alone-- the Sirius tuner is built-in, all that you can unhook is the antenna.

If you want XM with the head unit, you'd either need to use an FM modulator or hook into the AUX input on the front.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:43 AM
JK Freak

Here's my experience with the two satellite radio companies:

I've had both XM and Sirius in my Tundra with the antenna for each in the exact same location. Both do reasonably well in town (Fort Collins, CO), but Sirius did a lot better in canyons with steep sidewalls.

For example, in Poudre Canyon, XM is pretty much unusable while Sirius would work without cutting out at all. Same experience in the Glenwood Springs Canyon on I-70.

Both periodically cut in and out under trees in town about the same amount. Drop outs were less frequent with Sirius the longer the radio was left on the same channel. With XM, amount of time on channel doesn't seem to matter.

The Sirius receiver was a first generation Kenwood (with the external AGC module!). The XM receiver is a Pioneer. Current configuration is XM in the pickup, Sirius in the house, and, hopefully soon, Sirius in the Jeep!

-Glen

Quick Reply: Satellite Radio Antenna