Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

sea water rust and jeeps..

Old 05-16-2009, 07:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sea water rust and jeeps..

Just curious what everybody knows about how the ocean can affect your jeep? i drove to the coast this weekend with the family and really want to play in the sand!!! but is a 30k jeep worth ruining?
Old 05-16-2009, 08:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Location: Simi Valley, Ca., Taylorsville, Ut. and places in between
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think if you play in the sand and throughly wash the underside afterwards, and lube it, you should be OK.
We re thinking about taking ours to Pismo and playing a little and thats what I plan on doing.
Makes sense to me anyway.
Hope this helps.
Old 05-16-2009, 08:13 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

as long as your dont play in the salt water you should be ok, salt water and you'll be rusting on places you would probably never see it.
Old 05-16-2009, 08:19 AM
JK Freak

Talking

Originally Posted by Comicnut25
Just curious what everybody knows about how the ocean can affect your jeep? i drove to the coast this weekend with the family and really want to play in the sand!!! but is a 30k jeep worth ruining?
Yes.
Old 05-16-2009, 08:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Location: Simi Valley, Ca., Taylorsville, Ut. and places in between

As an afterthought, maybe having undercoating done on the undercarriage
Old 05-16-2009, 08:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Copy that guys i wont go in the water but ill play in the sand and i was figuring to just give her a good wash when i get home!!
Old 05-16-2009, 09:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just so you guys know. I bought a used 4 dr. JK 2007 last year in the fall. after about two months the engine froze up on me. After looking through it, in a matter of three months the whole JK was rusted throughout. Under, engine, all the bolts inside. The only thing that was not rusted was the body. I had it towed to a different dealer than I bought it from and they would not warranty it because of the amount of corrosion. After doin dome research, the JK was from Kill Devil Hills, NC. and was abviously driven through the ocean. The dealer I bought it from said it was so bad they took it back and replaced it with a 07 with only 7k miles on it. They tried to fight it for about two seconds but as soon as I brought up the lemon law and attorney they took it back. The amount of damge that can be done by salt water is unfixable and sets in quickly. I live on the ocean and I have to replace my grill every year from just the salt in the air and the morning dew. I would never take mine through the water. play on the sand, but stick to fresh water.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:09 AM
JK Newbie

I used to live by the ocean. Just make sure you wash her really good wither right before you leave the area around the beach or wash her immediately after you get back.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:19 AM
JK Jedi

Washing CANNOT get to everywhere saltwater, or wet sand can. The best thing to do after going on the beach is to find a freshwater lake or stream and drive into it as deep as you can and let it soak for awhile. THEN go home and wash it.

Think about what they say to do if an outboard motor gets submerged in saltwater.......throw it in freshwater for awhile. THEN take it apart and clean it.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ISLANDJEEPJK
Just so you guys know. I bought a used 4 dr. JK 2007 last year in the fall. after about two months the engine froze up on me. After looking through it, in a matter of three months the whole JK was rusted throughout. Under, engine, all the bolts inside. The only thing that was not rusted was the body. I had it towed to a different dealer than I bought it from and they would not warranty it because of the amount of corrosion. After doin dome research, the JK was from Kill Devil Hills, NC. and was abviously driven through the ocean. The dealer I bought it from said it was so bad they took it back and replaced it with a 07 with only 7k miles on it. They tried to fight it for about two seconds but as soon as I brought up the lemon law and attorney they took it back. The amount of damge that can be done by salt water is unfixable and sets in quickly. I live on the ocean and I have to replace my grill every year from just the salt in the air and the morning dew. I would never take mine through the water. play on the sand, but stick to fresh water.
Maybe your first JK was a Grave Digger Jk......

Quick Reply: sea water rust and jeeps..