Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Short People - 6 Speed Tranny

Old 01-05-2008, 10:29 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modifications?

Does anyone know if it's possible for a shop to adjust the clutch pedal to bring it closer to the driver? I'm 5'7" and the clutch is very deep. In order to depress the pedal adequately without locking my leg I have to sit very close to the wheel which is kind of scary.
Old 01-06-2008, 04:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm 5'4 and have no problems with the 6-speed. /shrug. And I don't sit with 'the girls' squashed against the steering wheel either. (not safe to do that). I'd play with the height adjustment on the seat if available..

Now getting IN the jeep is another story. I wish I could put my side steps on (my RR side steps no workie).
Old 01-06-2008, 05:07 AM
JK Super Freak

I'm 5'7" and I don't have a single problem shifting. I can sit in the seat, completely relaxed and comfortably press the clutch the whole way down. My wife is 5'1" and she doesn't have a bit of trouble either.

You guys realize the seats are adjustable, right?
Old 01-06-2008, 06:52 AM
JK Freak

Lightbulb Just an Idea

I'm 6'2ish

I was at pepboys just looking around and I found a cool looking pedal cover set for like nine bucks, and I thought, what the hell, so I bought it, and they just are "clamped" on over the existing pedals... When I got in to try them out I found out I needed to move the seat back one click to feel back to normal.

Maybe something like that would work, or put a segment of 2x4 to the clutch only.

It doesn't have to look pretty, it just has to work.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

I`m 5'8" and I also don`t have any probs. I have the seat adjusted all the way up cuz I like to see the road ahead. Plenty of room between me & the steering wheel too. Obviously everyone has different length appendages even if some are the exact same height ( don`t go there people ). Of course it helps a little that I`m always wearing my big ass logger boots .
Old 01-06-2008, 09:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

I find that merely playing with the seat height adjuster and so forth allows a fix to the "Short People Ain't Got No Ergonomics" ditty.

I got the Jeep for my Wife as her DD (She off roads too though, so it will be eventually evolving...) and she's taller than I am, being visible w/o a microscope, etc.

So, its doable, took maybe 10 minutes of fiddle farting with it, but its doable.

I think a person LESS than 5' tall would be needing a pedal extension (These are readily available btw) to be most comfortable though.

http://members.aol.com/handcontrols/page2.htm

http://www.drive-master.com/pedals.htm

http://www.roadandtravel.com/newswor.../nw_pedal.aspx

etc.

(I listed a few representative links, but I'm assuming that these are not competitors to advertising vendors here, etc...so its OK)

Last edited by TEEJ; 01-06-2008 at 09:29 AM.

Quick Reply: Short People - 6 Speed Tranny