Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Should I buy a softtop?

Old 10-11-2007, 04:24 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got a soft top on mine... but had both the hard top and soft top on my 03 TJ. Needless to say, Georgia's climate is relatively bland and more towards the high side.

The noise does not bother me from the soft top
The insulation is not really needed from the hard top in my area.

Therefore, if it were me, I would sell your hard top for a couple grand while its new and buy a soft top... and then use the extra cash for mods.

I picked up a soft top from a local atlanta person for 150.00 (included frame, top, windows, everything!)
Old 10-11-2007, 04:27 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow $150 is excellent.. Ive been looking around on Ebay and there around $650 plus shipping.. Ive also been looking on craigslist and there arent any.

That sunbonnet mentioned earler sounds like a good idea except I work 40 miles from where I live and thats a long way to drive if its raining..
Old 10-11-2007, 04:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

I live in upstate NY and I bought my Jeep with the hard top. About a month or 2 ago I bought a soft top off craigslist for 700 including tinted windows and all the frame work. I only wished I found one sooner. I just put the hard top back on this weekend because its starting to get cold. I think the hardtop might be needed for the cold NY winter. Can anyone tell me how well the soft top works in the cold North East winter? Does the unbelievably hot heater keep you warm in the middle of winter?
Old 10-11-2007, 04:45 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Duma3421
I live in upstate NY and I bought my Jeep with the hard top. About a month or 2 ago I bought a soft top off craigslist for 700 including tinted windows and all the frame work. I only wished I found one sooner. I just put the hard top back on this weekend because its starting to get cold. I think the hardtop might be needed for the cold NY winter. Can anyone tell me how well the soft top works in the cold North East winter? Does the unbelievably hot heater keep you warm in the middle of winter?
i have spent some winters up in NY and Canada... it gets stupid cold.

The hard top will help, but it is still a thin and uninsulated piece of fiberglass. The heater will keep you warm regardless of the top you have on. The hard top will keep said heat inside the vehicle longer... but not by much

I would be more worried about the soft top being freezing cold and streched tight and then go to warm and looser and then tighten up again... that repeated process of shrinking and expanding rapidly would cause additional wear (i would think)

Quick Reply: Should I buy a softtop?