Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Should I buy a softtop?

Old 10-08-2007, 04:09 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Should I buy a softtop?

So the jeep I orderedwas taking too long so I picked one up off the lot.. It is what I wanted but it only had a hard top on it..

You think I should spend the dough for the soft top??

Im thinking yes because in the summer I might miss it..

Anyone have a soft top for sale for an 08 Sahara Unlimited in Black with tinted windows???? Oh and do you live near me on Long Island????
Old 10-08-2007, 04:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sell the hard top and buy a soft top....

That is what I did.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:31 PM
JK Super Freak

I like my soft top, much better than I would a hard top I think. No planning involved when you wanna put it down....and no help needed.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

I agree, had a choice of the hard or soft covered jeeps. both same color and same options. Sooooo glad I took the soft top
Old 10-08-2007, 06:44 PM
JK Junkie

I dunno... Soft top on long island?? Seems to me like it's just asking for trouble. I don't see the problem in waiting for one either. The winter is coming quick, and you probably wont get much use out of a soft top until the spring. Wait to see if prices come down anytime soon.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:02 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my soft-top!
Old 10-08-2007, 07:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yes. I would buy the soft top. I did the same thing. My Rubi had the hard top and I found that there are plenty of times on the east coast when you want to go topless, but the rain will sneak up on you.

I would try here and ebay. I was able to find a guy on ebay that pulled his off and sold for 450. Brand new still in the box. The freight will run you anywhere from 150 to 250 depending on location from Point A to Point B.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wait until summer and see how you like the hard top. Your in NY and in for a cold winter, the hard top will be better! Softtops are GREAT in CA, in extreme temps the hard top is better I think. I love my hardtop here in PHX when it is 120 degrees in the summer, the softtop make it a convection oven inside, the hardtop is just a mild simmer! Plus, the hard top is better for theft prevention. With all that being said you can always take off the hard top but it is a pain in the @ss....
Old 10-10-2007, 12:44 PM
JK Junkie

thank you guys for your responses.. Ill take the advice of most of you and wait til summer..
Old 10-11-2007, 02:49 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by racer83l
thank you guys for your responses.. Ill take the advice of most of you and wait til summer..
Okay, you're made up your mind. But, have you considered the Mopar Sunbonnet top? I bought one for my hardtop only JK and love it! It was $251 from my local Jeep dealer, and he had it the next day after ordering. Unlike other safari-style tops, this one is designed to fit without already owning (or separately buying for about $400) the soft top hardware.

Since I park my JK outside, I also got a Bestop trail cover. It keeps the rain out when parked. I found it at a local 4x4 supplier for about $140.

Quick Reply: Should I buy a softtop?