Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

A sick JK on Hypertech's dyno

Old 02-04-2008, 06:24 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
Hypertech Representative

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A sick JK on Hypertech's dyno

Put down 179HP & 209TQ at the wheels w/ Hypertech's tuning

Last edited by Hypertech; 02-04-2008 at 06:32 AM.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:37 AM
JK Super Freak

thats a great shot.
are there more specs avail. for how it tested and whats in that jeep?
Old 02-04-2008, 12:03 PM
JK Freak

So I don't have many gears in the head. What numbers should it have been putting down before tuning?
Old 02-04-2008, 12:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sick as in *cough* *cough* its running poorly? or sick as in "damn, thats bad ass!"? i'm thinking sick as in running poorly since Jeep says these things put out 205hp... and there was another thread on here months ago where someone added a CAI, and exuast system and got his up to 220-240hp on a dyno
Old 02-04-2008, 12:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

x2
is there any difference with hood up or down? stock exhaust? gears? intake?
Old 02-04-2008, 12:21 PM
JK Super Freak

179hp is pretty decent. Looks as if that intake is stock so perhaps that was fairly aggressive tuning...

Curious though, it appears that it's running in 4wd (hence the 4wd rollers) so are those numbers in 4wd? I would assume there would be even lower numbers in 4wd as opposed to 2wd due to more moving parts and power transfer.

The 220hp-240hp isn't happening. Perhaps that's what the butt dyno suggests but no way that's going on at the wheels.

That is a great picture though!

Last edited by riverzendz; 02-04-2008 at 12:25 PM.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:59 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SONIC
205 is the numbers at the flywheel....with driveline loss it should be around 160-165 stock to the wheels.

a dynometer measures power to the wheels, ie useful power. theres no way anyone got 220 to the wheels without a supercharger lol
x2....
Old 02-04-2008, 01:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

205 is the numbers at the flywheel....with driveline loss it should be around 160-165 stock to the wheels.

a dynometer measures power to the wheels, ie useful power. theres no way anyone got 220 to the wheels without a supercharger lol
Originally Posted by riverzendz
179hp is pretty decent. Looks as if that intake is stock so perhaps that was fairly aggressive tuning...

Curious though, it appears that it's running in 4wd (hence the 4wd rollers) so are those numbers in 4wd? I would assume there would be even lower numbers in 4wd as opposed to 2wd due to more moving parts and power transfer.

The 220hp-240hp isn't happening. Perhaps that's what the butt dyno suggests but no way that's going on at the wheels.

That is a great picture though!
Originally Posted by wayland1985
x2....

after some digging, i found the thread i was thinking of... https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/results-848/. i quote from that thread:
Originally Posted by 1BADJK
The results are in.. I’ll keep this as short and sweet as I can..
Test and configurations were made to my 2007 Jeep Wrangler 4D Rubicon..
1st. Dyno run
Bone Stock = 180.7hp / 215.8tq

First we installed a Magna Flow True Dual Exhaust system keeping the stock catalytic converts in place..
2nd. Dyno run
Dual Exhaust System = 189.6hp / 222.5tq

Then we removed the dual system and re-installed the 2 into 1 collector and just ran a single back to a Magna Flow 6” x 18” muffler and then straight back..
3rd. Dyno run
Single Exhaust System = 194.3hp / 231.3tq

Obviously the Single System yielded much better results.. That is what stayed on.. And let me tell you the Sound is awesome..

Now the easy stuff AEM Brute Force Intake System.. Very Clean install..
4th. Dyno run
Single Exhaust System with AEM intake = 202.1hp / 234.6tq

Last but not least.. We installed the Jet Performance Stage II chip.. My initial thought process on this one was I wasted my money.. But the Dyno tell the truth..

5th Dyno run
Single Exhaust with AEM intake and Jet Performance Stage II chip

Final Results = 213.9hp / 243.3tq
Overall Gains = 33.2 HP / 27.5 TQ

Now... was that at the flywheel testing... doubtful, but you never know. Also, to be technical, there is no concrete definition for "HP" so maybe he used a different measurement. But this is where I got my 220hp number from.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

179 is very nice if it is just due to tune, intake and exhaust.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:47 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by atomicmecha
sick as in *cough* *cough* its running poorly? or sick as in "damn, thats bad ass!"? i'm thinking sick as in running poorly since Jeep says these things put out 205hp... and there was another thread on here months ago where someone added a CAI, and exuast system and got his up to 220-240hp on a dyno
Originally Posted by atomicmecha
after some digging, i found the thread i was thinking of... https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=848. i quote from that thread:

Now... was that at the flywheel testing... doubtful, but you never know. Also, to be technical, there is no concrete definition for "HP" so maybe he used a different measurement. But this is where I got my 220hp number from.

You said he was up to 220-240HP with an exaust and CAI. You forgot to mention that it was only up to 213HP, and that there was EXTENSIVE exhaust work done along with a Jet Chip. While I realize this is probably just you forgetting that part from the older post, you still made an assumption that was kind of bogus (Which is why I agreed with sonic).

And yes, while there are several kinds of "Horsepower" measurements, Mechanical horsepower is the only one really used to measure vehicles. It has a standard associated with it, so I'm sure all dynos out there (assuming properly calibrated) would yield the same results. We do have to factor in environment conditions though.

Quick Reply: A sick JK on Hypertech's dyno