Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Is the skid row offroad skid plate worth it?

Old 05-21-2008, 07:04 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SASQUATCH
For those of us with Rubi's it's definitely worth protecting the elec-disco, nice rock guard and replaces the aero-dam effect.
Directly from Skidrow's website "This skid plate is completely bolt-on with no drilling required and all the hardware is included. While it can be installed on Rubicon models with the remote sway bar disconnect, it isn't designed to protect the disconnect motor. This skid plate is constructed from 1/8" thick steel and is powder coated for a long lasting and durable finish. "

Thats why I got the mopar one instead.

Last edited by bly109; 05-21-2008 at 07:07 AM.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:33 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bly109
Directly from Skidrow's website "This skid plate is completely bolt-on with no drilling required and all the hardware is included. While it can be installed on Rubicon models with the remote sway bar disconnect, it isn't designed to protect the disconnect motor. This skid plate is constructed from 1/8" thick steel and is powder coated for a long lasting and durable finish. "

Thats why I got the mopar one instead.

I agree, and that is also why i said what i said earlier. I would look at other options that offered more protection ESPECIALLY if i had a Rubicon or added the e-disco later. (Like the Mopar one for one example, i am sure there are many more.)

I have no doubt the skidrow offering is fine for it's purpose, i just would spend my own money on something with more protection. If the skidrow one suits your needs, cool
Old 05-21-2008, 09:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Kind of don't get the previous two posts, although it says it's not protecting the e-disco, it is still protection nonetheless. Guess none of them are "designed" per say to be a rock-guard for the e-disco, but it's still a great protective layer IMO. I'd take the Shrockworks front bumper skid over any I've seen so far, it's friggin thick and ties in the bumper well, offers bit of a rock ramp over hitting the crossframe bluntly too. But then again it's just a skid, anything there over the stock POS is better
Old 05-21-2008, 09:51 AM
Eternal ***erator

Originally Posted by SASQUATCH
Kind of don't get the previous two posts, although it says it's not protecting the e-disco, it is still protection nonetheless. Guess none of them are "designed" per say to be a rock-guard for the e-disco, but it's still a great protective layer IMO. I'd take the Shrockworks front bumper skid over any I've seen so far, it's friggin thick and ties in the bumper well, offers bit of a rock ramp over hitting the crossframe bluntly too. But then again it's just a skid, anything there over the stock POS is better
? it doesnt go back fer enough to protect the e-disco from a bottom hit, that was my only point, i wasnt knocking it, i just would want to add more for my modding dollar. (I am kinda short on them, so i need to be a bit thrifty where i can) If i save for something that covers a bit more, i kill two birds for one was just my line of thinking.

Yup, it does offer more protection thatn stock (nothing but a speeding bumblebee deflector there) but not as much as i would want.

the Mopar one does incorporate a bottom plate for the e-disco. as does the shrockworks one, dunno about the others

I have the Shrockworks stubby, and you are right, that skid under there is nearly as heavy as the whole stubby bumper alone (I do recommend a friend help you with installing it, i did it alone ~sucks)
Old 05-21-2008, 10:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
? it doesnt go back fer enough to protect the e-disco from a bottom hit, that was my only point, i wasnt knocking it, i just would want to add more for my modding dollar. (I am kinda short on them, so i need to be a bit thrifty where i can) If i save for something that covers a bit more, i kill two birds for one was just my line of thinking.

Yup, it does offer more protection thatn stock (nothing but a speeding bumblebee deflector there) but not as much as i would want.

the Mopar one does incorporate a bottom plate for the e-disco. as does the shrockworks one, dunno about the others

I have the Shrockworks stubby, and you are right, that skid under there is nearly as heavy as the whole stubby bumper alone (I do recommend a friend help you with installing it, i did it alone ~sucks)
Ahh ok, well I was going to say mine seemed to cover the edisc just fine, figured I overlooked something. Hey $$$ is tight here too! Wish I'd have bought 37s instead of 35s which was my biggest recent purchase, now I have to wear them down a bit first, then I'll get wheels and 37s...and gears....and ...and .....and......list goes on
Old 05-21-2008, 02:14 PM
JK Freak

Why are you all arguing? Just look at the picture that bly109 posted, you can clearly see that all it protects is the front approach "slider". It doesn't go far enough to protect the e-disco.

The Mopar and AEV skids are different design, and are made for e-disco protection. And thats why they cost more money.

I'm not trying to bash on the skid row skid, i just don't see a point of getting it. Its like getting rock slider panels, and then buying a skid plate to go over those rock sliders....
Old 05-21-2008, 02:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

anybody know the P/N of this factory heavy duty front skid??
Old 05-21-2008, 02:55 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Rub61
anybody know the P/N of this factory heavy duty front skid??
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/mopar-oem-skid-plate-install-write-up-6634/
Old 05-21-2008, 02:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks!!
Old 05-21-2008, 03:30 PM
Eternal ***erator

Originally Posted by Seryoga
Why are you all arguing? Just look at the picture that bly109 posted, you can clearly see that all it protects is the front approach "slider". It doesn't go far enough to protect the e-disco.

The Mopar and AEV skids are different design, and are made for e-disco protection. And thats why they cost more money.

I'm not trying to bash on the skid row skid, i just don't see a point of getting it. Its like getting rock slider panels, and then buying a skid plate to go over those rock sliders....

Uhm... I wasn't arguing, if it came across that way then I blame Gates. (and Tesla just for kicks) Really, i wasnt.

I wasnt bashing it at all, it just isnt something i would opt for, given the other available options.

Quick Reply: Is the skid row offroad skid plate worth it?